Outlook Express/Orange conflict

Salut 20:21 14 Jun 2007

As with many other users I am struggling with the conflict between OE and Orange, non sent/received emails, etc.
Would there be any advantage in switching to another email provider, say Thunderbird, etc-if so which?
Because of an extensive contact base I really need to keep my current email address.

skidzy 20:38 14 Jun 2007

Can you clarify your problem in more detail please.

Have you checked your smtp and pop3 settings ?

There has been several issues regarding the pop and smtp settings have being changed from Freeserve/wanadoo to Orangehome.

Ive been with Orange since the Freeserve days and fortunately for me no problems or changes to date.

Salut 20:54 14 Jun 2007

I am sorry to say, 'been there, done that' with random success.
Today I sent emails this morning. This afternoon I cannot send any at all. This sort of problem has occurred for many months. I have followed the advice via Orange helpdesk-still problems!

skidzy 21:06 14 Jun 2007

Have you checked your your mail via the online method and clear them up from the server.

Log into your account via the orange home page and see if something is blocking the account.

Other than that,i would assume its a setting just not right.

Though i have read many many problems at the moment with Orange.

A-Nonymous 21:09 14 Jun 2007

I have Orange webmail for my phone, and I use it with OE and it works fine. Although I have to say some emails go missing.

Zak 21:17 14 Jun 2007
  bretsky 18:23 15 Jun 2007

You could try putting in your ip address instead of smtp.wnandoo.co.uk for example.

Goto start run and type cmd and a dos like box will open. At the cursor, type ping and what ever your smtp setting is, in my case it is smtp.wanadoo.co.uk.

Wait a few seconds and your ip address will appear in numbers and again in my case it is 193.252.22.140

Now input those figures into your email smtp settings in your email program. (pop settings remain the same)

After months of sporadic email operation(Sending) using both OE and Thunderbird as other forum members have been following , my emails are going off straight away now, so fingers crossed.

HTH

bretsky ;0)

bretsky 18:24 15 Jun 2007

Sorry, should be wanadoo not wnandoo.

bretsky ;0)

Salut 12:27 16 Jun 2007

Thank you both for your replies. I have set the server as suggested by Zak and will run it for a week to see what happens. I have followed your suggestion Bretsky and have made a note of the 'ping' response, in this case 193.252.22.140. If I experience further problems I will change the smtp setting accordingly.

I noticed this mornings 'ping' test brought a 'timed out' response-is this significant?

bretsky 13:27 16 Jun 2007

"I noticed this mornings 'ping' test brought a 'timed out' response-is this significant?"

Yes I get this, but emails seem to be going off now, so not overly bothered.

bretsky ;0)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?