Outlook Express working overtime

dabthoms 15:40 28 Apr 2008

Since yesterday every time I open Outlook Express I receive all emails from the previous few days, plus the current day's lot. Thus constantly increasing the amount that downloads. It has now reached the ridiculous total of almost 1500. I haven't altered any settings to trigger this. I've tried everything I can think of, including deleting the Pop3uidl.dbx fle to stop it, but in vain. Suggestions welcomed.

rawprawn 16:25 28 Apr 2008

Go into your mailbox at your ISP supplier and delete everything there, and make sure you haven't ticked any options to forward or copy emails.

Sea Urchin 16:54 28 Apr 2008

In OE go to Tools > Accounts > Properties > Advanced tab and make sure that "Leave a copy of messages on server" is not checked.

dabthoms 09:53 29 Apr 2008

Thank you rawprawn and Sea Urchin, have done that without success. I never had the "Leave a copy of messages on server" box checked anyway. I've tried
running a .bat file I made up of all the .dll files, in DOS, and deleting the .dbx file and renewing it, with no success in sorting this problem. I've also emailed my ISP, BT no less, but the reply from someone in India, about a mile long, was worse than useless.

dogbreath1 10:09 29 Apr 2008

click here

It may help.

dabthoms 16:02 29 Apr 2008

Seem to have resolved my problem by the following:
[Start] [Run] [Regedit]
Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}
Modify/Create the Value Data Type(s) and Value Name(s) as detailed below.
Data Type: DWORD // Value Name: IsInstalled
Setting for Value Data: [Change the Value from 1 to 0]
Fingers crossed!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?