Outlook Express wont open

isititis 20:42 03 Oct 2010

HP running WinXP sp3. Just had a dose of the nasties. Scanned in Safe Mode using AVG anivirus, Spybot S&D, Malwarebytes Anti-Malare and SUPERAnti Spyware, and cleared out all the crap with CC. All programs are freebies.
When I try to open OE I get the message >Outlook Express could not be started because MSOE.DLL could not be found. OE may not be installed correctly . I can't help but think that I deleted MSOE.DLL's when removing all the infections.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Nontek 20:50 03 Oct 2010
  isititis 21:01 03 Oct 2010

Thank you Nontek, but that does not help. Any more ideas anyone? I'll be back in about an hour.

Nontek 21:15 03 Oct 2010

You could try doing a System Restore prior to when the problem started.

lotvic 21:28 03 Oct 2010

I would try this as the easiest way.

First back up your Outlook Express emails.
Make a new folder in your My Documents and call it something like 'My dbx backup'
Do a search on your machine for *.dbx files and copy all of them to the new folder you created.

Then go to Microsoft's website and download and reinstall Outlook Express

Sea Urchin 22:19 03 Oct 2010

This link includes a script which easily finds and opens the OE store folder

click here

isititis 10:09 04 Oct 2010

Nontec. System Restore didn't work. Thanks anyway.
lotvic. I can make a new folder, I can search for *.dbx files, but it appears that I need to open OE to back up OE emails. This I can't do because of the missing MSOE.DLL files.
Sea Urchin. Will view the contents of the link and get back. Called out. Don't know how long I'll be. Aaaarrrrgh.

lotvic 13:45 04 Oct 2010

No, you don't need to open OE to back up emails, that's not what I suggested.
What you are doing is an ordinary COPY and PASTE of all the *.dbx files.

I omitted to say that in order to see the *.dbx files you need to enable 'Show Hidden Files and Folders'
In Windows Explorer click on Tools > Folder Options > View tab and put a dot in 'Show Hidden Files and Folders'click on Apply and OK
You will not see the individual emails, just the folder names.
In search> Advanced make sure tick is in Search hidden files and folders.
When they are all listed in the right search pane, you can:

1. select (highlight) one of the folders and righclick and click on 'Open container folder'
which will be C:\Documents and Settings\YOURNAMEHERE\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{list of-numb-ers-and-letters}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

2. mouse click on a blank part then hold down Crl and press A (this will select All and they will be highlighted, Now do the COPY and PASTE to your new folder.
if you have more than one OE identity repeat for each.

OR you can move up one folder and copy and paste the folder called 'Outlook Express' that contains all the *.dbx files.

You now have in your new folder a (backup) copy of all your emails.

isititis 22:52 14 Oct 2010

Sorry guys, I have just returned from a late cancellation holiday. One of those that just can't be refused.
Since my return I have found that the problem does not start and end with OE. It looks like Microsoft Works 8 has been wiped clean by the nasties, which I wasn't aware of at the time. I tried to open the Word Processor on my return and got the message something like 'Microsoft Works 8 word processor failed to start because WkWinUni.dll was not found' (minus the quotes). I then tried to open The User Guides for MS Works 8 and got the message, again without the quotes 'User Guide failed to start because AGM.dll could not be found'.
Since my return, I have setup an old pc that runs WinXP IE8 with sp3. I have a genuine Microsoft WinXp Home Edition Version 2002 which includes sp2. I am considering doing a repair on the damaged pc using this disc. The other alternative would be to do a recovery using the recovery partition. I am not sure as to how I should proceed. Thank you in advance of any assistance.

lotvic 02:03 15 Oct 2010

May I suggest you try:
as WkWinUni.dll is part of Works8, reinstall Works.

For XP run
sfc /scannow
to replace missing XP system files click here for more info

isititis 12:48 15 Oct 2010

Lotvic. Thank you for your post and the link.
I have setup the HP pc and done a sfc /scannow which took about just over 30-odd mins and on completion just closed. So from that the Windows files are all ok. While I had the HP up and running, I did a Belarc Advisor scan. This showed 15 Microsoft Security Updates missing. I tried to access the Microsoft site for the updates but got cut off. The message was to do with the site being down. This happened round about the time I first experienced problems with the nasties. As the system appears to be unstable, I have only set it up to do the sfc /scannow and the Belarc Advisor scan.
There were no discs with the HP pc when first bought. So I can't do a reinstall of Works8.
I have printed off from the link using the old pc and will keep you informed of any progress.
I don't think I will be back online before 6.00pm tonight.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017