Outlook Express in Windows XP

xania 00:51 08 Apr 2005

Without going into too much detail about how I got where I am, I currently have an old, non-bootable, version of XP with all my latest e-maikls on them, and I need to get the data back if possible. I am aware of Outlook Express and the backup facilities within Outloo Express, but don't have access to either to solve this problem. So. I have identified that, in Windows SE, all the mailbox structure is held in a directory Windows/Application Data/Identities/random string of characters; but does anyone knopw where the structuyre ect is held in Windows XP Pro?

Many thanks.

DieSse 01:17 08 Apr 2005

On mine it's in

C:\Documents and Settings\nnnnnn\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{D997F48C-4662-4B8E-B505-3C616FE26982}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Where nnnnnn will be your user name

xania 21:04 08 Apr 2005

Thanks, but my version does not seems to have this. And to be safe, I've done a clean install, and created a OE6 account with folders, but the system does not show any of this at all. I may have to accept that I've lost about 4 days of e-mails and hope nothing important crops up.

Thank you for trying - I know this is a tricky one.

DieSse 00:12 09 Apr 2005

You may not be able to find it if your system is set to not show hidden and system files.

Go to Explorer - Tools - Folder Options - View and tick the box "Show hidden files and folders".

I can assure you that my XPPro installation is perfectly normal, and the folders will reside there.

lotvic 20:36 09 Apr 2005

Methinks that these need further explanation.....

"I currently have an old, non-bootable, version of XP with all my latest e-maikls on them, and I need to get the data back if possible. I am aware of Outlook Express and the backup facilities within Outloo Express, but don't have access to either to solve this problem."

"I've done a clean install, and created a OE6 account with folders, but the system does not show any of this at all"

are the emails on a seperate harddrive, backup cd or what......

westwit 00:44 10 Apr 2005

Try doing a search for *.dbx. This should find all your Outlook Express email folders wherever they are on the disk.

SANTOS7 00:55 10 Apr 2005

click here
this may help...

xania 21:06 10 Apr 2005

Thanks for all contributions, esp DieSse - yes I had thought of that one, but they're still not there. Still its my own fault for forgetting that final backup before making the desired changes.

Hilotvic - sounds like you're like me. Tried a duial boot system and then found out that it doesn't like users tampering with it. I think this might be the subject of a new stream - i'll start it up shortly and lets see what comes of it.

Menawhile, I know there I've only a few missing emails so I decided to give up on this for the present.

lotvic 21:24 10 Apr 2005

methinks that I will have to make sure that when I quote parts of a post, it looks like a quote!

and when I ask a question I will put a Q in front and a ? at the end :))

sorry for the confusion :(

I was looking for more info on your problem. As you said you had done a 'clean install' I thought that your email messages must be on seperate backup media.

look forward to your new thread on 'dual boot' problems.

I learn a lot from this forum - and it's fun

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?