Outlook express using a router

bevantjf 12:18 30 Sep 2006

I have recently setup a router with a wireless connection. My mum uses her outlook express on the main computer and can receive messages with no problem, however when it comes to sending messages it just wont go through, we have never had a prob before, i already changed the settings so outlook does not try to coto the old router and uses the LAN to send/receive.
Anyone have any ideas wht she may not be able to send emails?

ArrGee 12:31 30 Sep 2006

Have you checked the SMTP settings in Outlook Express?

ade.h 12:40 30 Sep 2006

Checked the SMTP ports in the firewall?

bevantjf 12:47 30 Sep 2006

Sorry guys i dont know what you mean where can i find this info?

ade.h 13:40 30 Sep 2006

Your router's PDF manual will explain how to use the firewall.

Forum Editor 13:59 30 Sep 2006

that you have "already changed the settings so outlook does not try to go to the old router"

What exactly have you changed? Your main computer desn't know which router it's using - it will simply use any internet connection that's available. If your mother can receive mail she should be able to send it - you don't need to alter a single setting in Outlook Express because you've changed routers.

bevantjf 16:47 30 Sep 2006

What i did was change settings so outlook didnt try to connect to the internet through the old modem (i said router by mistake) and now receives mail through the LAN. I have looked at the firewall settings and all say that thre should be no problem.
the error message that comes up is:

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'pop.tiscali.co.uk', Server: 'smtp.tiscali.co.uk', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10053, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

Anyone have any ideas?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?