Outlook express - toolbar problem.

dave h 11:30 13 May 2004

I do get interesting problems…..this started recently (having behaved normally before)

I open Outlook express, and the toolbar is there, but it is blank.
I right click on the menu bar and the box shows the toolbar ‘ticked’. I ‘untick’ it, then ‘re-tick’ it and the icons reappear on the toolbar and it behaves for the rest of the session.

Any Ideas as to why it starts off blank???

Wes Tam ;-) 15:12 13 May 2004

Sorry dave h, no idea but this'll get your problem back to the top.

dave h 20:24 14 May 2004

bump

Fruit Bat 20:29 14 May 2004

sounds like you need the outlook update patch from the microsoft website

canard 22:37 14 May 2004

Tried R click TB and selecting customise? U might be able to put the missing items back.

SANTOS7 23:20 14 May 2004

click here this might help, good luck

dave h 13:54 16 May 2004

Fruit Bat - Which update patch???

Canard - as I said in my original posting, I can get it back by 'Unticking and reticking it' I had tried'customising' - no improvement.

Santos7 - That link sounds like a possible solution. But I tend not to mess with the registry until all other options have been exhausted.

The toolbar has now developed another quirk.... I now have two 'address book icons' on the toolbar! One launches the address book, the other launces my antivirus program (which is the next icon in the line). I have a feeling that I'm going to have to uninstall and reinstall my OE.....

Thanx for the input

GaT7 14:29 16 May 2004

You could also try a 'repair' of IE (which usually takes care of OE too) - click here if you need to know how. Sorry if this is a bit belated & you've already tried the uninstall/reinstall. G

Stuartli 14:44 16 May 2004

If you right click on the Tool bar, disable Lock the Tool Bar and add/delete which icons you wish to appear from Customise, plus Text and Icon selections, you then have to Lock the Toolbar afterwards by enabling it.

dave h 15:45 14 Jul 2004

Bump...... I floated this query a couple of months back but no real solution.

The suggested solutions required the XP CD Rom, which I don't have ( I only have a product Recovery CD which is not the same thing).

As I said at the start, if I Right click and untick and re-tick the toolbar on the drop down menu, everything works fine, the icons just don't appear when I start Outlook Express.

GaT7 17:57 14 Jul 2004

Did you try the Registry tweak mentioned by Santos7? click here.

If you're afraid of messing up create a Restore point &/or backup the Registry. (see these if you need them - Use System Restore to Undo Changes if Problems Occur click here & How to back up, edit, and restore the registry in Windows XP click here.) Be careful & good luck, G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?