Outlook Express Spellig Checker set to French

tallboy 16:25 17 Jun 2009

Following a recent re-install of Windows XP, the Outlook Express Spelling Checker is now set to check French text rather than English.

I have checked the regional settings tool in the Control Panel and this shows UK as the region with a UK keyboard. I have also accessed the regional settings Advanced tab and unticked any box that shows French or Latin - but still OE thinks I am writing in French.

How can I change it to English?

gazzaho 16:44 17 Jun 2009

I'm not sure but as far as I'm aware Outlook Express doesn't have a spell checker built in, I could be wrong but I thought it used the spell checker in Word for spell checking. If you have word or a stand alone spell checker installed check its settings.

gazzaho 16:46 17 Jun 2009

This link click here may also help.

BT 16:50 17 Jun 2009

You beat me to it. OE does not have its own spell checker, but uses the Office/Word one, or a stand alone one.
click here

tallboy 09:21 18 Jun 2009

Many thanks for the quick responses & links gazzaho & BT. I should have mentioned that I have Office 2007 installed. However, after following your links it became obvious from the Microsoft website that the English and some other languages dictionaries in Office 2007 are not made available to OE6.

MS's recommended solution was to install Windows Live as the dictionary for this is made available to OE6. I did this and now I have the right spell checking in OE6 - so normal service is resumed!

(Before having to re-install XP I also had MS Works on my PC and I guess OE6 used the dictioanry from this, so the problem didn't arise then. I have not re-installed MS Works, hence the problem.)

gazzaho 11:30 18 Jun 2009

Glad to see you've sorted the problem.

TonyV 12:03 18 Jun 2009

One other method is to follow the instructions shown in here click here
It certainly did it for me.

TonyV

TonyV 12:04 18 Jun 2009

Another method that works is shown in here
click here .

It certainly worked for me!

TonyV

TonyV 12:04 18 Jun 2009

Didn't think the first one went!!

Sorry

TonyV

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?