Outlook express setup

carryduff 21:48 18 Sep 2009

I have just reinstalled windows and for the life of me can't remember how to set up my email account with outlook express. I know it is'nt difficult but my mind is a blank at the moment trying to reinstall programs etc, my ISP is talk talk. Can someone please explain in plain English how to set this up, Thanks

Audio~~Chip 21:53 18 Sep 2009

From SP1 upto SP3, how old is your machine and is it a branded make ? may sound daft but I wouldn't rush to get your emails until your windows is secure and patched, also include Java 6.15, Adobe Flash v10 & Adobe Reader.

TalkTalk have click here

Sea Urchin 22:16 18 Sep 2009
  Sea Urchin 22:20 18 Sep 2009

Of course you'll need to know your correct server information - you've not said who your ISP is.

Sea Urchin 22:37 18 Sep 2009

Apologies - you did say TalkTalk

POP3 will be mail.talktalk.net

and

SMTP will be smtp.talktalk.net

lotvic 22:52 18 Sep 2009

click here
Settings

* E-mail address: [email protected]
* Incoming mail Sever: mail.talktalk.net
(if asked:)
Incoming mail account type: POP3
Incoming mail port: 110
* Outgoing mail (SMTP) Server: smtp.talktalk.net
(if asked:)
Log on using SPA: leave unchecked
Authentication: none
Outgoing mail port: 25
Use SSL: leave unchecked
* Account name (Username): [email protected]
* Password: password

You will need your TalkTalk Broadband username and password. You'll find these in the welcome letter TalkTalk sent. If you cannot find your welcome letter and cannot remember your broadband username and password, you can call free of charge from a TalkTalk landline on 0870 0875 562 to retrieve them

Sea Urchin 23:22 18 Sep 2009

The TalkTalk username and password are only required to set up the modem to get online - as this is a re-install of Windows that information will still be present.

lotvic 00:04 19 Sep 2009

Just realised the last paragraph is not very clear. TalkTalk should have worded it better for clarity.
(I copied and pasted from talktalk page)
The username is your email name not your 0123456789 at@ talktalk.net connection setting. (but I bet you knew that already :))

lotvic 00:07 19 Sep 2009

Yep, thanks. I have remedied my reply :)
(my ISP is TalkTalk as well)

Stuartli 00:09 19 Sep 2009

The TalkTalk e-mail Username and Password is your chosen e-mail address plus your chosen Password - the phonenumber @talktalk.net and TalkTalk provided Password are for logging on to TalkTalk.

If you have other e-mail addresses, use Accounts to enter the POP3 and SMTP addresses for each one and configure OE to collect any messages via TalkTalk or your LAN setup as appropriate.

Stuartli 00:12 19 Sep 2009

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone