outlook express server error -strange icon

spike22 21:21 21 Jan 2004

Good evening.
Have been trying to access forum since c 18:00
notice other people have posted threads since this time so presume site was not down ?
Error was`could not connect to Jrun server`

This morning outlook express could not access server due to conflict with another server ??
was not here at the time so cannot report error more accurately.When outlook express was restarted this morning an icon appeared on my desk top which says it is a 178kb file - right click gives the option to run a virus scan on the hard drive ?
Cannot describe the icon other than to say it has a `sine wave`underneath.(temporary file ?? )
have put in recycle bin temporarily - but do not know what it is or where it came from.
When tried to read via word seems to be binary code / pdf ??
Learning slowly - mostly thru this site

Forum Editor 22:44 22 Jan 2004

which gave rise to the JRun error message, so be assured it wasn't just you!

I have no way of telling what this file might be, but if it's asking you to connect to anything don't do it. Delete it from the recycle bin and forget it. Are you running any anti-virus software? If not, I strongly advise you to get some as soon as possible.

click here and download the free version of AVG - it's an excellent application and will protect your computer from almost all the viruses out there.

VoG II 22:51 22 Jan 2004

That ~ file is a copy of your address book - you can safely delete it. It results from a bug in OE. The downtime on PCA is not connected.

johnnyrocker 00:01 23 Jan 2004

absolutely correct as previously posted, i have found that it arises out of any changes in address book.

johnny.

spike22 01:37 23 Jan 2004

Many thanks to all who replied - am now more knowledgable - will post as resolved

spike22 01:40 23 Jan 2004

Thanks to those who replied - am now more knowledgeable. Will post as resolved.
PS - FE - have eTRUST AV and believe running 2 x av can conflict so will not mess but thanks for the link.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?