Outlook Express Scam?

BT 07:58 24 Jun 2009

I received this as an Email yesterday and it looks like a Scam especially as the Email address in the header wasn't mine just something similar. I hasten to add that I HAVEN'T clicked on the link!

"Critical Update

Update for Microsoft Outlook / Outlook Express (KB910721)
Brief Description
Microsoft has released an update for Microsoft Outlook / Outlook Express. This update is critical and provides you with the latest version of the Microsoft Outlook / Outlook Express and offers the highest levels of stability and security.
Instructions
To install Update for Microsoft Outlook / Outlook Express (KB910721) please visit Microsoft Update Center:
click here

Quick Details
File Name: officexp-KB910721-FullFile-ENU.exe
Version: 1.4
Date Published: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 13:50:02 +0100
Language: English
File Size: 81 KB
System Requirements
Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000; Windows 98; Windows ME; Windows NT; Windows Server 2003; Windows XP; Windows Vista
This update applies to the following product: Microsoft Outlook / Outlook Express

Contact Us
© 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Contact Us |Terms of Use |Trademarks |Privacy Statement
"

Technotiger 08:02 24 Jun 2009

You were wise not to click - it is most definitely MALWARE ....

mgmcc 08:14 24 Jun 2009

There is a genuine "KB910721" on Microsoft's site, but it relates to the retrieval of mail using IMAP4 protocol from Microsoft Exchange Server 2003.

The email you received does appear to be rubbish and the link gives a "File or Directory Not Found" error (I clicked it using a Mac!).

The file "officexp-KB910721-FullFile-ENU.exe" isn't found in either the Support or the Downloads sections of Microsoft's site.

interzone55 09:53 24 Jun 2009

Interestingly that is mostly a valid Microsoft link, but the page doesn't exist.

I didn't detect any malware on the page.

What does confuse me though is that Microsoft don't issue these type of messages by email...

BT 16:49 24 Jun 2009

It was marked as Spam by McAfee and the Email address although similar to mine wasn't actually mine which led me to be suspicious, as most Spam Emails have similar but not identical email addresses. I can't see Microsoft sending out personal update emails anyway as you say.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?