Outlook Express - Receive Problem

Newuser939 17:57 21 Aug 2006

I have just been trying without success to help a friend resolve a problem with Outlook Express. In particular, he can send emails OK but when he tries to receive them his log-in details are rejected. His email account is with Blueyonder. We tried re-entering all the details and even deleted the account and re-created it. I am sure that all the details are correct. In addition he could access his emails from the "advanced" page of mail2web which suggests that there is not a problem with the POP3 server. Has anyone else had this problem, whether with Blueyonder or anyone else?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:59 21 Aug 2006

Your password was rejected.
Server response - ERR arguments mismatch. Port: 110. Secure (SSL)No Server Error: Ox 800CCC90 Error Number Ox800 CCC92
possible cause is a corruted TCP/IP stack. If you run Windows XP, the process is:

Click Start
Run
Then type in Command
In the screen which appears, type in netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Another possible cause is a corrupted OE ... remove it and reinstall it

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:00 21 Aug 2006

Outlook Express keeps prompting for your password
click here

Newuser939 12:04 22 Aug 2006

Fruit Bat
Thank you very much for your suggestions. However, I think that I must have misunderstood the one about running Command. I clicked on Start, Run and typed in Command. That brought up a black screen saying something like "C:DOCUME~1\OWNER>". At that point I typed in "netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt" (with the spaces but without the inverted commas) and pressed "Enter". That simply caused the "C:DOCUME~1\OWNER>" line to be repeated. When I tried to close the box it indicated that Windows could not close the box as it might still be running a process, but that was the case however long I left it. What did I do wrong?
Incidentally, I do not think that the cause is a corrupted OE as I get exactly the same problem when running Thunderbird.

Fellsider 17:18 22 Aug 2006

Can he read his e-mails on the blueyonder webmail site?

Newuser939 18:14 22 Aug 2006

Fellsider
Yes, he can log in to the Blueyonder web site and read his emails as web mail fine. He can also send emails OK from within Outlook Express. It is just that when he tries to receive emails in Outlook Express his log in details are rejected even though they are undoubtedly correct.

Fellsider 19:38 22 Aug 2006

If he sets up another e-mail alias and then sends an e-mail to that address what happens?

- obviously you can't answer that until you try it.

I have three e-mail aliases for my account and if I have probs I send an e-mail to one of the others to see if it works

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?