Outlook Express puzzle: large folder is empty

March Hare 18:02 06 Feb 2008

As part of an exercise to reclaim some space on my hard drive I've just done a big tidy up of my Outlook Express and deleted or archived about 90% of the messages and compacted everything. But now, looking at the size of the .DBX files in Windows Explorer, I see that the Deleted Items folder is still shown as 179MB in size, but it is empty! When I try to open it to see what the 179MB is, a message appears saying there are no messages in it, and it won't open.

How can I get rid of this 179MB of nothing? Would it be safe to rename this DBX file as 'old' and then add a new file with the original name and then delete the old one? I know that OE is an odd set-up and I'm nervous of wrecking it if I do the wrong thing.

Coffee Adict 18:17 06 Feb 2008

Try a re-start first, sometimes the system needs to clear its memmory, may not work but its painless and non destructive.

mfletch 18:23 06 Feb 2008

Hi,

You can create a new Deleted Items folder using the following steps:
1. Exit Outlook Express.
2. Search your hard drive for Deleted Items.dbx and delete this file.
3. Restart Outlook Express. A new empty Deleted Items folder is created automatically.

This removes everything inside the folder,

mfletch

March Hare 18:24 06 Feb 2008

Thanks for that Coffee Adict, but I've restarted several times since, and the 179MB is still shown!

March Hare 18:31 06 Feb 2008

Many thanks mfletch, I've done what you said and there's now a new Deleted Items.dbx file which is only 75KB in size! Brilliant!

VoG II 18:32 06 Feb 2008

Try File > Folder > Compact all folders.

March Hare 18:36 06 Feb 2008

Thank you VoG, but I had already compacted all folders. Deleting the folder as suggested by mfletch did the trick.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?