Outlook Express Problems

Dumble452 06:40 09 Mar 2007

1) Outlook Express frequently gives me a message that it did not shut down properly.

2) When it tells me that it can compact folders to free up disk space, it gets so far then tells me that a folder is in use by another application. As far as I know it is not linked to another application apart from access from the IE tool-bar.

3) I cannot access Outlook Express from anywhere else other than the icon on the IE7 tool-bar.

4) Often it won't load at all unless I re-boot the computer.

I'm not sure when this problem started so I can't just do a system restore, but it seems to be getting worse. Anyway, for some reason System Restore tells me there are no restore points available which is a trifle worrying.

I followed a link on here after a search on how to repair Outlook Express. This was to a Microsoft page which was extremely complicated and seemed to involve editing the Registry which I'm not happy to attempt.

For information I'm using WinXP sp2. IE7 and Outlook Express 6.
For security I use Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 2007, Ad Aware, A Squared and Ccleaner. None of which report any problems. I had to remove Spybot S&D because it clashed with PC-cillin.

skidzy 06:55 09 Mar 2007

Try the system file checker.

Start/run and type sfc /scannow (note the space /)

nderstanding sfc click here

Dumble452 06:56 09 Mar 2007

I'll try that.

Dumble452 07:16 09 Mar 2007

I've done that and can now access Outlook Express from other shortcuts. I'll leave this thread open for now and see if the problem is resolved before I close it.

Dumble452 10:24 09 Mar 2007

I've still got a problem. If I exit Outlook Express I then can't re-open it unless I re-boot the computer.

birdface 10:28 09 Mar 2007

Outlook Express has a virus problem,Might not be your problem though. click here

Dumble452 11:25 09 Mar 2007

Thanks buteman but I'm pretty sure that isn't my particular problem.

Can I just download Outlook Express from here click here and try re-installing it over the existing version?

Dumble452 07:00 09 Apr 2007

It seems to have almost cured itself somehow. I still get the occasional message that it has not closed down properly. Will tick as resolved but still mystified.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?