Outlook Express - Problem Recieving Mail

WGW 20:31 09 Oct 2007

I recently had to re-format my HDD and ended up having to re-install Outlook Express. I entered the relevant details, as advised by BT, but now have the problem that every time I open OE, a logon box appears. I've tried entering the relevant details or just cancelling this box but it doesn't make any difference, my mail just downloads randomely but never when I want or need it. Sometimes the OE box shows Connected or Authorizing but just freezes other times the log on box pops up and shuts down the OE box.
I'm using BT Broadband to download Freeserve mail, i.e. incoming on POP and outgoing on BT Internet but this was never a problem in the past.

I get the following error messages:

There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was rejected. Account: 'freeserve', Server: 'pop.freeserve.co.uk', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: ' Disconnect because authentication to back server is too long', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92

There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was rejected. Account: 'freeserve', Server: 'pop.freeserve.co.uk', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR [IN-USE] Unable to lock maildrop', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92

Can someone please help me, it would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks.

WGW 00:08 10 Oct 2007

Thanks Marg7
I took your advice but the problem still appears to be there. I also followed your link and it looks like I need to contact the ISP, which is a bit of a worry, as I didn't feel that they understood the problem the first time I called them, despite having remote control of my PC....

johnnyrocker 08:23 10 Oct 2007

try mailing yourself and see what happens

johnny

exodus 11:14 10 Oct 2007

Hi, the OE / POP3 error message is showing that your mail connection is invalid and is being rejected due to an incorrect password. If you are certain your password is correct, then it may be due to a problem with the connecting server at your ISP, which may explain why some mail is being downloaded.

Initially, I suggest deleting your account in OE. Reboot and setup the account again, just in case you made a mistake in the settings.

exo

mad1234 11:37 10 Oct 2007

goto your account properties then look on the server tab - check your account name(SB your email address) & password are correct then make sure "log on using secure password authentication" has NO tick but "my server requires authentication" has a tick(the settings for this SB left as default)
apply this then close down OE & open it again & hopefully it will work

WGW 00:10 12 Oct 2007

Thanks folks, but unfortunately the problem's still there.

Johnny - I can't easily open my e-mail to check whether that would work, but I suspect it would.

Exo - I'm a bit apprehensive about re-loading OE, as I might lose a lot of mail. I realise I may have no choice, but just now I'm hoping that it may be simply something that needs changed in the settings that will fix it.

Mad1234 - Checked those settings but they are already as recommended by yourself.

Anybody have any other suggestions???

birdface 00:45 12 Oct 2007
  johnnyrocker 07:51 12 Oct 2007

it should clear your prob if i am right.

johnny.

exodus 19:32 12 Oct 2007

Hi, deleting your OE account only removes the settings, not your received messages.
It is prudent to keep a backup copy of mail messages anyway. This can be done manually as shown click here
or by using some free mail backup utility.

exo

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017