outlook express problem

g0tyq 19:14 26 Feb 2003

i am using IE6 with outlook exppress and today it has a major problem. This morning I had 7 mails to collect but when it got to No 6 it stopped recieving and the pc virtualy froze. I could only get it up again by the 3 fingered salute.
Tonight I have 13 mails andagain it collects 5 and freezes as it goes for No6.
My problem is obviously how do i get 6 scrapped and carry on to the rest.
It looks like a virus problem but as it can not get to my pccillin and zonealarm I can not delete anything..
looks like a stand off to me
anyone got any ideas please.
geoff

AndyJ 19:30 26 Feb 2003

See if you can get the Telnet address from your ISP (sometimes it's on their support pages)and delete the offending mail (no.6) direct from the ISP mail server.

If the Telnet address is on the ISP website, there'll also probably be full instructions on how to do it. Don't panic if you've never done it before...it's way easier than it sounds.

I had the problem once before and finding out how to use Telnet was a godsend.

g0tyq 19:32 26 Feb 2003

Hold everything
Prior to posing the problem her I also emailed Freeserve (my ISP) but got no response (naive fool that i may be). Anyway after leaving this spot I decided to have another go at outlook express....about the 7th or 8th attempt by now...and lo and behold it went past N06 (fromSERIF) and completed the task so I regret I am no wiser and should anyone else get the problem they will not be either.
thanks for the forum space, anyway
regards to all
gweoff

AndyJ 20:10 26 Feb 2003

Thanks for the mail. I've checked with Freeserve site and they do indeed give you full details how to delete a "sticking" email. It's on the Help pages / Email entitled "How to delete a sticking email.

They now offer a simple way of doing it, but the Telnet method is at the very bottom of the instruction pages.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?