Outlook Express Problem

standby 10:59 13 Jul 2007

I have attempted a repair/reinstall of O/E using a download provided by Microsoft Support but the installation breaks down in that Setup detects a newer version already installed and will not continue.

Microsoft are aware and provide a method to solve the problem requiring an alteration to the registry. I hesitate to follow the advice because Microsoft can not guarantee the outcome... possibly due to incorrect editing of the system when attempted.

Assuming the editing to be done correctly I would appreciate confirmation that this method has been used and did allow the repair install to go ahead with positive results.

If you can help, Many thanks.

skidzy 12:54 13 Jul 2007

Before we can help:

Any error codes ?
What exactly is the problem ?

Reregister Outlook Express

1 > Click Start, and then click Run.

2 > In the Open box, type msimn /reg, and then click OK.
(Note that you will not see anything happen.)

3 > In Internet Explorer click Options on the Tools menu.

4 > Click the Programs tab and select Outlook Express as the default e-mail client and as the default news client. You can change those later if you wish.

A simple repair of certain Dll's may help.

Reregister libraries
Dynamic Link Libraries (DLLs)

1 > Click Start, and then click Run.

2 > In the Open box, type regsvr32 urlmon.dll, and then click OK.

3 > Repeat step 1 for each of the following commands:
regsvr32 mshtml.dll
regsvr32 shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 browseui.dll
regsvr32 msjava.dll

bruno 12:56 13 Jul 2007

What problem are you having that needs repairing?I have just spent months trying to cure a fault on O/E and did not succeed despite trying every solution known to man,from forums and Microsoft knowledge base.It was finally cured after reinstalling XP for a completely different reason.
My fault was that I used to open it up and use it successfully the first time I used it.If I shut it down and carried on working,next time I came to use it ,it would not open.I had to reboot to get it to start again.When I shut it down,I had to close O/E manually.even though Task Manager /Applications said it was not running.Best of luck.

bruno 12:58 13 Jul 2007

I wish you had posted when I was in trouble!!!

skidzy 13:20 13 Jul 2007

these are the first steps to re-register some of the files that may have become corrupt.
Easily availble from Microsoft,sorry i must have missed your thread.

The above is no means a guarantee to fix everyones problems,but like i say is the first steps to take.

Hopefully your OE is working ok now.

standby 13:31 13 Jul 2007

Skidsy.

Many thanks been there done that I'm afraid.

Bruno.

Seems we have both followed the same path. The side bar and history are missing and I can send it would seem but canot receive. Only the tool bar exists and no amount of manipulation will show an improvement.

Regedit does not produce any result whatever.

Orange supports Outlook Express only so can not migrate to Thunderbird.

Intend to try Microsoft reinstall method but did hope to have confirmation that the registry edit has been tried and tested before the attempt.

Many thanks each....still hope for confirmation.

standby 13:36 13 Jul 2007

Further to previous comments... meant to say that Scannow did not produce a result.

Thanks again

skidzy 13:39 13 Jul 2007

Are we talking Vista or XP ?

I say this,because you mentioned sidebar or did you mean the Folders options on the left of OE.

IE6 or IE7 ? if 6 try this click here repairs OE also.Does not work with IE7.

Can you also post the link you refer to ( Intend to try Microsoft reinstall method but did hope to have confirmation that the registry edit has been tried and tested before the attempt ).

standby 15:15 13 Jul 2007

Skidsy.

We're talking XP and I quote : How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express IE6 in Windows XP.

click here click here

recap 15:48 13 Jul 2007

stanby, before attempting to edit the Registry you should back it up for safety. click here

skidzy 16:58 13 Jul 2007

standby did you run the IE fix,link above.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The pulp art of 80s computer game magazine covers

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?