Outlook Express problem

Sirpad 15:52 24 Oct 2005

I recently started having problems when I do a Send/Receive in Outlook Express 5.

Oddly enough if I create a New message I am able to send it without a problem but cannot receive anything. I've checked my accounts and everything looks fine. I've also checked with my ISP but they just tell me to check my account setups (which I have not touched in a long time).

I just started using NOD32 but they say it shouldn't have any effect. I even uninstalled NOD32 and am still having the problem.

The message I get is..

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail1.eircom.net', Server: '127.0.0.1', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

Any ideas out there?

Monoux 16:02 24 Oct 2005

Is your ISP NTL ? If so there have been problems the last few days with E mail

If you are on NTL you can click here for up to date info.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:09 24 Oct 2005

If you have not changed anything since the last time you checked / sent mail, do not adjust your settings simply close Outlook Express, reopen it and try again later.

If this has not resolved your problem you need to check your Outlook Express settings, making sure that the POP3 and SMTP servers are correct, and that your full user name and password are correct.

Tools -accounts - mail propeeties - advanced - SMPT shows 25 and POpP shows 110

The basic checks have now been completed. If you are still getting this error message, there are two more drastic options to try. The first is to reinstall TCP/IP from scratch in case this component of Windows has somehow become corrupted. To do this click on the Start menu and then enter your Control Panel. Next double click the Internet Options icon and select the Connections tab. From here you should be able to identify your dial-up connection which you need to select and then click on Settings followed by Properties and select the Advanced tab. Here the checkbox for the Internet Connection Firewall should be unchecked to test whether it is causing this problem.

If this does not resolve the problem in windows XP try resetting the TCP/IP stack, by:

* Clicking on Start then Run then type in cmd

* On the screen which opens, type in netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

If you're still having problems, it could be that Outlook Express is itself corrup.

Wak 16:36 24 Oct 2005

I've also had problems with NTL over the last couple of days but it was supposed to be resolved at 10.39 this morning.
Have you tried repairing Internet Explorer which also repairs Outlook Express??
You could even try updating O.E.5.0 to O.E.6.0

Sirpad 17:58 24 Oct 2005

Thanks to all. Fruit Bat gets a year's supply of whatever fruit bats eat. I went back and checked the paramaters for POP3 and SMTP and after looking at it for a while I realized it had changed slightly. Not sure how this happened (perhaps it was a virus I got just before I installed NOD32).
Anyhow all is well now......

And speaking of NOD32....I had a few questions about it and their customer service rep called me back within 5 minutes.....very impressed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?