Is Outlook Express part of XPhome or sp1 or sp2?

bof:) 15:02 27 Oct 2006

Hi all, friends is quite insistant hat her daughter does not have Outlook Express on her PC. I thought it was part of XPhome and or SP1/SP2, am I correct?

If not where do you get it from?

Thankyou,

Mike

Stuartli 15:05 27 Oct 2006

It's part of Internet Explorer which, in turn, comes with XP and earlier versions of Windows; IE can also be downloaded separately from Microsoft along with Windows Media Player and Windows Movie Maker2, which also come with the OS.

beynac 15:11 27 Oct 2006

It should be part of the normal XP installation and installed along with Internet Explorer.

If you go to Control Panel, then Add or Remove Programs. Click on Add/Remove Windows Components. Scroll down to Outlook Express and tick it. Click next and follow instructions.

If it's already ticked, it should be on the Start Menu.

bof:) 15:36 27 Oct 2006

Hi both, I know friends daughter uses IE6 on her PC, so I guess it must be on there somewhere. I'll email her to look in add/remove programes.

If this fails I'll get her to install IE7.

Thanks for the help,

Mike

VoG II 15:44 27 Oct 2006

Start, Run, type

msimn.exe

and click OK. If it is installed, that should run it.

As far as I know, Outlook Express does not come with IE7.

bof:) 20:06 28 Oct 2006

Thanks VoG™, I'll get them to try that. If its not installed though and they already have IE6 was there an option to not install Outlook Express?

Stuartli said its obtainable seperatly from Microsofts website but I've not been able to find it. Any idea where it is on the site?

Thankyou for your help,

Mike

Stuartli 20:38 28 Oct 2006

If you go to Start>Settings>Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs>Add/Remove Windows Components you'll find it there (you may need the installation disk).

However, if you go to the Microsoft website you can download the latest version (7.0):

click here

If you read the end of this article:

click here

you'll find that IE6 Service Pack 1 was included in Windows XP SP1.

bof:) 21:35 28 Oct 2006

Hi Stuartli, I dont think my friends daughter has an installation disk because the HD is split and a restore option is on the 'D' partition, I think. Everything was pre-installed when she got the computer at university.

I've looked at the link about SP1 and I'm a bit confused.

If friends daughter has XPhome with SP2 (I think) then why wasnt Outlook Express installed?

VoG™, doesnt seem to think Outlook Express is included in IE7 are you saying it is?

I guess the easyist way to find out is to just download it :-)

Thanks for the help its really appreciated,

Mike

Stuartli 23:20 28 Oct 2006

For as long as I can remember Outlook Express has been an important component of Internet Explorer; in fact its Internet connection configuration is tied to IE's settings.

Miros 00:26 29 Oct 2006

Excuse my interuption of you thread Mike you tried to help me with a problem and recomended I got in touch with the following malware forum.
click here

I have just received the above reply, obviously I made a bit of a cock up of things , but seems it was overlooked anyway,thought you might be interested.

Could have emailed you using above link to your user name but thought that would be taking a liberty, please excuse me.

bof:) 11:22 30 Oct 2006

Hi Stuartli, thanks for that...so if all else fails, install IE7. Thankyou again for your help.

Hi Miros, no worries. If you are still having problems send them a new Jijackthis log. If not just send a reply saying thankyou but problem has now been dealt with.

It may be worth sending them a Hijackthis log and ask them to go through it as another check your pc is virus/spyware/malware etc clean. They really do know their stuff.Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?