Outlook Express log on requested but fails anyway

User-1F69FBFA-3DC0-43D3-81FB02DC4D4087D2 16:35 23 May 2004

When I try to send or receive using OE I am getting a window requesting my username and password for pop.freeserve.com. The username and 'blobbed' password is already filled in for me and appears to be the same as for the account it refers to (the password has the correct number of blobs). Since switching to broadband some months ago I have not had to log onto OE in this way, but clicked OK anyway and get an error message: "There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was rejected. Account: 'pop.freeserve.com', Server: 'pop.freeserve.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR [AUTH] Invalid login/password pair', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92". I have tried deleting the username and password and putting the correct ones back in but get the same response. I am using XP Home and have telewest broadband and up 'till now would normally only use a password to get into my settings then OE would send and receive automatically. Any suggestions?

Diodorus Siculus 16:57 23 May 2004

Try setting up a new mailbox using the correct username / password.

Ensure that all usernames / passwords are in the correct format.

papa lazarous 18:26 23 May 2004

How long have you been using Telewest for? If you dont physically dial up to your Freeserve account regularly it will close down after about 30 days. You would have been able to access your mail using broadband for this period but now it sounds like your account has become dormant. You can call Freeserve (now Wanadoo) to reactivate it but you will have to dial in to keep it open.

Thanks to you both for your spot on suggestions. However, I am not quite sorted. I have now got a new blueyonder email address that appears to work and if mail is sent to my old freeserve email address I can still receive it. The new problem is I now get a window:"Logon -pop3.blueyonder.co...." that asks for my user name and password. Its already completed with my original BY username and, I believe, password - its got the right number of blobs and I have re-entered it just to be sure. When I accept it keeps popping back up. When I cancel it shows the following error:"There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was rejected. Account: 'pop3.blueyonder.co.uk (1)', Server: 'pop3.blueyonder.co.uk', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92". I thought I should get rid of my old FS account altogether, but does this error suggest I still have a problem on the BY side?

VoG II 21:38 30 Jun 2004

Blueyonder has a problem with e-mail at the moment. The symptoms that you have are described as an "Authentication Issue". Same here. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?