Outlook Express - limited number in a contact lis

Trikie 23:19 10 Sep 2008

Since adding more names to a contact list making total 110 I keep getting error messages when sending saying that different addresses are causing problems. Can't give exact wording as the latest effort has frozen.

I'm wondering if there is a limit on the number of contacts and if exceeding it is causing this problem.

lotvic 00:10 11 Sep 2008

are you trying to mail all 110 at once with the same email?
Most ISP's have a limit on this to stop spam. Check the number of cc's or bcc's your ISP will allow. (if that is what you are trying to do)

Trikie 13:55 11 Sep 2008

Thanks. Yes,that is what I am trying to do. How do I check with my ISP?

lotvic 20:28 11 Sep 2008

Who is your ISP?

Trikie 22:08 11 Sep 2008

Virgin - was Telewest Blueyonder.

lotvic 23:51 11 Sep 2008

Can't find the limit that Virgins mail server uses but found some info that may be useful re bcc's.

"# There is a risk of overwhelming the mail server. The email program is addressing each email to a large number of recipients. The mail server then has to send a separate message to each recipient. This makes it relatively easy to place great load on any mail server.
# Every mail server has a limit on the number of recipients that a single email can be addressed to. Unfortunately, ISP's do not usually publicize the limit. The only way to determine the exact limit is to experiment. Once the limit is reached, the mail server will start producing errors.
# The messages can't be personalized - all recipients will get an identical copy of the email. This even includes the "To:" header field.
# Because each recipient in a batch receives a message with the same Message-ID header, many mail servers will treat the messages as spam."

also
"Know your limits Many e-mail service providers set limits for the number of names that can be in the To, Cc, and Bcc fields in a message. For example, your e-mail service provider may limit each message to a maximum of 100 e-mail addresses. If these addresses can be distributed among the To, Cc, and Bcc fields, remember that the names in the Bcc field will count toward your total limit. Ask your e-mail service provider about the policies for your account."

Looks as if it is a case of 'try it' to find the limit as Virgin don't seem to have advertised the number allowed.

Trikie 14:44 12 Sep 2008

Many thanks totvic. I will split into 2 lists and e-mail them separately.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?