Outlook Express insists on being default

pppc 21:58 17 Jan 2009

I am running Windows XP and use Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird. Until recently without problems but then I opened Outlook Express to check something and since then OE insists on picking up my mail. If I open it it tells me that it is not the default and I tell it I don't want it to be the default but noen the less 90% of my email ends up in OE. I Use Mail Washer normally to check mail before downloading but OE doesn't wait for it! Any ideas about what I can do please???

Sea Urchin 22:06 17 Jan 2009

Go to Start - click Set Program Access and Defaults - expand Custom, and select Thunderbird as your default - OK etc

BT 08:43 18 Jan 2009

To stop OE picking up your mail as soon as it opens, go to Tools>Options and set the 'Check for new messages' option to a sensible time that allows you to not get the messages if you don't want to. Something like 5 or 10 mins. will then give you time to change your mind.

BT 16:33 18 Jan 2009

You also need to untick 'Send and receive messages at startup' in the same menu box.

pppc 21:57 19 Jan 2009

I set Thunderbird as default in Start/prog Access/defaults but it immediately resets itself to 'Use current program'.

My real problem is that Thunderbird will not download more than a couple of News messages at a time - it calls everything else 'over limit'.##Thank you for your offered assistance - but can you add to it please???

PC

woodchip 22:09 19 Jan 2009

Use System Restore to go back to before the problem

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?