Outlook Express incoming mail problem

Effie 01:17 07 Oct 2006

I have just started using Outlook Express on my XP machine.

I have no problem getting onto the internet using IE and other browsers but I do have a problem receiving any e-mails in OE which I know have been sent to me.

I can send e-mails no problem.

I have contacted the server and we checked the settings and reset the password but still no joy. They don't know why I'm having this problem.

I've turned off both AVG and Zonealarm and tried again and still nothing. I even configured Microsoft Outlook but fared no better with it. Network Diagnostics tells me that it passed both pinging tests etc. so I'm still in the dark. Ideas anyone??

(P.s. My apologies in advance but I won't be able to reply to this thread until the morning- thank you).

Jak_1 01:51 07 Oct 2006

Have you got OE set as the default browser?
Options > General

birdface 08:27 07 Oct 2006

Hi Effie,Try Start,Control Panel,Taskbar and start menu.Press start menu at the top,Go down to customise and open,Go down to bottom, make sure e-mail box is ticked, And outlook express is in the address bar.

birdface 08:35 07 Oct 2006

Hi Effie,One other thing to try,Start,Set program access and defaults,Custom, open or scroll down,Press the outlook express button,See if that helps

jack 08:56 07 Oct 2006

A common fault is the pop3 address line.

Go to 'tools /accounts and your account
check that it actually reads
---pop3 your full email address.
all in lower case

Effie 12:10 07 Oct 2006

Yes OE is the default Jak -1
. I am still working my way through the other suggestions so will keep you posted as to how I get on. Thanks again.

Effie 00:07 08 Oct 2006

Well I worked my way through all your suggestions, and still on joy.

Contacted my server again and went through my settings, found problem. They had missted out some of my account details.

Thanks everyone for your input.

terryf 05:23 08 Oct 2006

With OE it is possible to export your working account settings as a backup, go to OE>tools>accounts click on the account and export to a safe place. Then if the account details get screwed up you can delete the screwed up account and import your working account details which will be an 'accountname.iaf' file

Effie 18:25 08 Oct 2006

Thats a very useful suggestion terrryf. I will happily follow your advice. Many thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?