Outlook Express inbox takes long time to open

porridge 21:36 07 Oct 2007

Can anyone tell me why it takes so long for the inbox to open even though it only has an average of thirty messages in it. I believe that copies of all messages are held somewhere for a while but where exactly I do not know. Would it speed things up if these were removed. If so, where do I find them and how do I delete them.

Grateful for any help. I am on XP home.

Thank you,

Porridge.

skidzy 21:46 07 Oct 2007

Firstly try a OE repair click here

Backup your messages click here

if the mail is not important and can be cleaned up and deleted,your quickest method is to re-register OE

Click Start, and then click Run.

In the Open box, type regsvr32 urlmon.dll, and then click OK.

Repeat step 1 for each of the following commands:
regsvr32 mshtml.dll
regsvr32 shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 browseui.dll
regsvr32 msjava.dll

porridge 13:58 08 Oct 2007

Skidzy,

Thank you for your advice. I must confess I do not relish trying to follow it as I am a digibet and would probably muck things up.

Thank you anyway,

Porridge.

DieSse 16:53 08 Oct 2007

Even with only 30 messages, If one of them has a very large attachment, OE can get very slow to load.

If you go into Tools - Options - Maintenance and click the "Clean-up Now" button.

This won't delete any messages, but will compact the Inbox (and other folders) database and remove traces of all previously deleted messages.

porridge 09:07 09 Oct 2007

DieSse

Thank ytou for your information. Quite a few of the inbox mails have large attachments, so I now know why it seems to take quite a while for the inbox to open up.

Gratefully yours,

Porridge

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone