Outlook Express Inbox content vanishes

tallboy 22:47 27 Apr 2007

I have to admit that my OE Inbox and subfolders were somewhat overloaded (approx 3000 messages) and I was periodically deleting unwanted messages. (Honest!)

However, today, without any warning, the Inbox emptied itself and deleted all the subfolders (plus messages in them) leaving a 'fresh' (and empty!) In Box (with no sub folders) which then started to accept incoming messages as soon as I re-started OE. (I use Window XP)

Have the original messages gone for ever, or do Microsoft put an 'overload protector' in OE which hives off messages with the .dbx file gets to large? If They are still likely to be on my PC, where can I find them (MS seem to have a knack of hiding OE files) and how do I restore them?

Any / all suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks.

Tallboy

tallboy 23:00 27 Apr 2007

Since posting this, I have found the location of the .dbx files and they all seem to be there. However, how do I get them displayed again by OE so that I can read (and where necessary) delete the messages?

setecio 12:21 28 Apr 2007

Look in OE - tools - options - maintenance - store folder nad locate the dbx there. It is usually in the folder, where ? are numbers :

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{????????-????-????-????-????????????}\Microsoft\Outlook Express.

setecio 12:21 28 Apr 2007

AN in your users section (my link above shows it for administrator)

tallboy 22:21 30 Apr 2007

Thanks for the info setecio. I've had no trouble in locating the .dbx files using Internet Explorer, but the only way I have been able to make them re-appear in OE is to:

1. Create a new folder from the OE main page.
2. Use IE to look up the new empty folder and modify it's file name extension so that OE cannot read it.
3. Replace the file name of one of the folders I can't view from OE with the file name from the new folder. (With the correct extension.)

The folder + messages that disappeared from view in OE are then viewable again.

Since I have about 25 subfolders under my main Inbox (which I have already made viewable again using the above approach) this is a slow proccess. There must be a quicker way! If you know one, please let me know. Thanks. Tallboy

setecio 23:55 30 Apr 2007

yea but if you go into OE (outlook express) and to where i said in my last post, what does it give for the store location ... change it to where the dbx is located.

brundle 02:02 01 May 2007

click here

OE gets a bit unreliable with so many messages.

tallboy 07:49 01 May 2007

Thanks for the info setecio & brundle. The OE messages folder contains both viewable and non-viewable messages. The Microsoft website (thanks for the link brundle) suggests creating new folders and renaming the non-viewable ones, as I have been doing, so I'll continue along that route to retrieve the non-viewable messages.

zlatan24 10:37 08 May 2007

You may use [url=click here]Outlook Express recovery[/url. THis application know how recover corrupted dbx files size more 4gb, recovering dbx files in the batch mode (extracting messages from dbx files and immediately saving them to the disk)and similar.

zlatan24 10:39 08 May 2007

You may use [url=click here]Outlook Express recovery[/url]. THis application know how recover corrupted dbx files size more 4gb, recovering dbx files in the batch mode (extracting messages from dbx files and immediately saving them to the disk)and similar.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?