Outlook Express - Inbox completely empty on reboot

Steggo 21:27 24 Nov 2003

My ISP dropped connection, and when I tried to reconnect
Outlook Express 'froze'. On rebooting, every message that
was in my inbox has disappeared?

Any idea where they will be?

Regards

Angus

PS I am running ie v6 using ME operating system.

smegs 10:51 25 Nov 2003

I'm using Xp home. If I goto Windows Explorer, then to C:\Documents and Settings, I have Three log ons, if I go to my log on, which is my name, then to Local Settings, then Identities, in there is a folder with a lot of numbers, open that folder, in that folder is Microsoft folder, open this folder then there is a Outlook folder. Thats where all my Outlook Mail is. It will be coded. So goodluck.

Steggo 12:41 25 Nov 2003

Thanks again for reply - unfortunately ME and XP seem to work entirely differently, the only file 'documents' which is directly on my 'C' drive contains just two small music files and nothing else. On further searching I did find the Outlook Express file you mentioned at C:\windows\application data\identities but unfortunately the inbox.dbx file seems to have been emptied and then overwritten with the latest few received messages. Thanks for your help anyway.

Much appreciated

Angus

Taff36 13:00 25 Nov 2003

Open Explorer and click on your C drive to highlight it. Do a search for *.dbx files. (CTRL+F key or FILE > SEARCH or FIND) You will probably find the missing dbx file. If you do rename it to "Old In Box" and import it into Outlook Express.

Steggo 15:04 25 Nov 2003

Hi Taff,

I tried that one earlier, my inbox.dbx (there is only one unfortunately) only contains the messages receieved since the crash, the others - some 1800 or so - have just disappeared. I have searched 'My Computer'for them, but it now seems as if somehow the folder contents have just been emptied. Thanks again for your help though, much appreciated.

Regards

Angus

^wave^ 15:41 25 Nov 2003

try and do a repair on ie thius will affect oe as well

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires