Outlook Express: How to Copy Inbox and Open it?

silklink 00:13 27 Aug 2003

I use Windows XP.

I would like to find out , is it possible for
me to copy the Inbox Folder in Outlook Express
and save it in my Removable Hard Disk? What is
the name of the folder in Outlook Express should I look out for (there does not appear to have a folder called 'Inbox'. The closest I could guess is the 'msin' folder)

Also, once I copy this folder in my removable hard disk (Maxtor), can I take it to my friend's PC which also has Outlook Express installed and
open it there? If you know what to do, can you please tell me how to do it?

Cheers.

Jeff.

temp003 03:23 27 Aug 2003

The Inbox folder (and all Outlook Express folders) are stored in the following location on your computer:

C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{string of letters and numbers}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

The inbox would be a file called inbox.dbx under that folder (if you enable file extensions to be shown).

To make sure, in OE, you can click Tools, Options, Maintenance tab, click Store Folder, and you'll see the complete path.

The "Local Settings" folder is a hidden folder. To see it, in My Computer, click Tools, Folder Options, View tab, and select "Show all hidden files and folders", and deselect "Hide file extensions for known file types". Then click OK.

Then navigate to the C:\Documents and Settings\...\Outlook Express folder and make a copy of inbox.dbx

It's usually too large for a floppy, so you'll have to put it on a CD.

On your friend's computer, first setup another user account. Log on to that user account. Replace the existing inbox.dbx with the backed up inbox.dbx (path on the new computer would be similar, but with different string of numbers and letters C:\documents and settings\newusername\local settings\application data\string of numbers and letters\microsoft\outlook express)

Once copied to the Outlook Express folder, right click the restored inbox.dbx file, select Properties, and untick the Read-Only attribute, click OK. You must do this if the backup medium is a CD. Then open OE and go to the Inbox, you should see your old messages.

Don't put your inbox.dbx file into your friend's C:\Documents and Settings\...\Outlook Express folder. He'll lose all his emails.

temp003 03:42 27 Aug 2003

You can back up and restore all OE subfolders in one go. Create a new folder somewhere on your computer, call it say OEBackup. Go to your C:\...\Outlook Express folder, click Edit, Select all, then copy all to OEBackup folder. Copy the OEBackup folder to a CD.

When you need to restore the folders, copy the OEBackup folder from the CD back to somewhere on the computer where the OE messages are to be restored. Right click the folder, Properties, and untick the Read-Only attribute, click OK, and select apply the changes to all files and subfolders, click OK. Again you must do this if you're restoring from a CD.

Open OE (within your own user logon) on the new computer (or your old OE on the same computer in case of restoration). In OE, click File, Import, Messages, then highlight Microsoft Outlook Express 6. Click Next. Then click "Import Mail from an OE6 store directory". click OK. Then Browse to the path to where you've put the OEBackup folder on the new computer. Click Next and follow the prompts. All the backed up folders will be restored.

Peverelli 12:36 27 Aug 2003

Duplicate thread here click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires