outlook express folders

qwesaws 07:23 30 Jul 2007

I have some important folders in "outlookexpress local folders" How can I save these to my burner cd

Taff™ 09:39 30 Jul 2007

In OE go to Tools>Options and on the maintenance tab select the Store Folder button. This will tell you where the .dbx files are stored on your computer.

Open Windows Explorer or My Computer and go to that store folder. From there you can copy all (or just the relevant) dbx files.

qwesaws 10:04 30 Jul 2007

did all that but when I got to the folder it is empty

Taff™ 10:14 30 Jul 2007

Whoops, sorry, forgot to say you need to view hidden files and folders. In Windows Explorer go to Tools>Folder Options and on the View tab select "Show hidden files and folders". You could also deselect "Hide extensions of known file types" although not vital for your purposes.

qwesaws 13:49 30 Jul 2007

Hi taff,
sorry about this something wrong somewhere clicked show hidden files still no joy

beeuuem 15:30 30 Jul 2007

Try Freebie backup from click here
This will save the folders to a backup folder. You can then burn in the normal way. If you save the .dbx files you need to use a dbx viewer click here or import them to OE to read them.

Taff™ 06:52 31 Jul 2007

I suggest you check the exact store folder path again. If you`re using XP it should be something like this: C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR USER NAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{0393EDD6-C0E1-4391-A102-6F59EBDAD655}\Microsoft\Outlook Express. The {0393EDD6-C0E1-4391-A102-6F59EBDAD655} may be just one of the identities so that part is important because there may be another one in your profile that contains your dbx files. Try looking for them in Windows Explorer.

Alternatively Open Windows Explorer, select the C: drive in the left hand pane and do a search. (CTRL + F keys together) Search for "all files & Folders" and put *.dbx in the search box. Make sure you go to advanced options and select "search hidden Files & Folders" then click search.

qwesaws 07:22 02 Aug 2007

all sorted now thanks to all for your help

Taff™ 09:55 02 Aug 2007

Might be helpful to others if you tell us which suggestions you followed to solve the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?