outlook express error message

gizzyx 23:03 23 Nov 2007

the amount of spam i receive in my mail inbox has recently exploded, going from 5-10 spam mesages a day, to 100+ a day. now, i cannot send messages through my tiscali mail account. i get the following error message:-

An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'xxxxxxxxx', Server: 'smtp.tiscali.co.uk', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '554 Your IP (xx.x.xx.xxx) is being blocked because of excessive spam e-mail traffic.', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 554, Error Number: 0x800CCC6F

i also have an ntl mail account and can send from this account ok. i've googled the error number and cannot find any useful info, virus scanned (avg), run spybot s&d, adaware, autoruns and hijack this and cannot find anything OBVIOUSLY sinister, (although i'm not expert at analysing the results). could my computer be being used as a "spam sender" somehow and if so what can i do? some of the spam mails, when viewed in OE have me as the sender in the "from" field.

brundle 23:08 23 Nov 2007

Perhaps an example of this; click here

Contact Tiscali regarding the problem

johnnyrocker 23:14 23 Nov 2007

or use mailwasher as a filter click here

johnny.

gizzyx 23:35 23 Nov 2007

for your quick replies. brundle, i will contact tiscali, as i'm inclined to think it may be something that their mail server has picked up on. johnnyrocker, thanx for the response, but the amount of spam i receive would undoubtedly reduce with a spam blocker, but this is not my main concern. i'm more concerned with the fact that i might be spamming others unknowingly. also, i get supposed "bounced" emails,from "mail delivery system", or whatever, implying that messages i have supposedly sent are undeliverable. i hate to think that i'm possibly contributing to the scourge of the net that is spam.

brundle 23:41 23 Nov 2007

Microsoft ought to be applauded for this anti-spam idea - Sender ID; click here

The sooner something is done the better.

johnnyrocker 08:39 24 Nov 2007

it rather looks like from what you now say that someone who has your address on their system has become infected and is mailing out all sorts of mail using the addresses in the machine.

johnny.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone