outlook express downloads emails again and again

dobbin 15:57 01 Feb 2004

Each time I check my emails outlook express downloads the whole lot stored on the server, currently about 600. Does anybody know how I can reset it so that it only downloads the emails that have not been previously downloaded.

I currently have outlook express configured to store the messages for 10 days on the server so that I can access from remote computers.

I have tried from two locations and both computers keep downloading the whole lot.

Any suggestions will be gratefully received as it takes a long time to keep deleting 600 messages.

DieSse 16:03 01 Feb 2004

I think the omly way to do this is to go to your server, and move all the downloaded ones to a different folder on your server (via the webmail facility).

Then there won't be any in your server inbox to download, but you'll still be able to view them from elsewhere by webmail.

bretsky 16:25 01 Feb 2004

Open OE and go to tools>accounts and click on the mail tab, highlight your account and click on properties, next, go to the advance tab and click on that.
At the bottom of the window unerder the heading Delivery, uncheck "Leave a copy of messages on server"

See what that does!

bretsky;0) ..........................

DieSse 16:32 01 Feb 2004

He wants to leave them on the server for 10 days!

dobbin 17:25 01 Feb 2004

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try this and I am sure it will work. However what I can't understand is why it has suddenly started doing this when for years everything has functioned perfectly normally and the computer accessing the server has only downloaded those emails not previously downloaded. I have been on to btinternet but they have no immediate answer but promise to come up with an answer in 48 hrs. We shall see.

dobbin 15:04 02 Feb 2004

I have had several phone calls from bt and they have sorted the problem. It was apparently a corrupted spam which made the server keep thinking that the download had not been completed.
They have deleted the offending email and all is now back to normal.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?