Outlook Express doesn't disconnect fully

sheila.weston 17:35 26 Jul 2006

I have set my pc to disconnect from the internet if it is unused for more than ten minutes or so. The computer says that it has disconnected, but I cannot use the 'phone line until I have manually gone into Outlook Express and clicked on the 'Working Online'wording at the bottom of the screen.

How do I make the pc disconnect fully?

Sheila

Stuartli 18:17 26 Jul 2006

Are you using dialup?

sheila.weston 08:09 27 Jul 2006

Yes.

Stuartli 08:32 27 Jul 2006

From the Connections tab in Internet Explorer's Internet Options, have you ticked both Disconnect if Idle and Disconnect if Not Needed boxes after highlighting your ISP>Settings>Advanced button?

It's your comment about "after 10 minutes or so" which is a little puzzling - it's a fixed period to your requirements that has to be set i.e. five minutes, 10 minutes, 12 minutes or whatever.

Stuartli 08:50 27 Jul 2006

Some more help may be found here:

click here

DialupMon from:

click here (freeware)

sheila.weston 12:04 28 Jul 2006

Yes, both 'disconnect if idle' and disconnect if not needed' are ticked. It is set at 'after 20 minutes' actually. Apologies about the vagueness - I couldn't remember how many I had set it at and was too lazy to check!

Thanks for the URLs. Am downloading Dialupmon, which seems to be just what I need.

Will mark this as resolved and come back if necessary. Thanks, again.
Sheila

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?