Outlook Express Crashing on XP

bbEZ 15:19 15 Nov 2008

Hi, had that Antivirus 2009 malware in my XP system which i managed to remove with Malwarebytes anti-malware but now, whether related or not, Outllok Express 6 hangs at the blue intro screen and i can get rid of the box by refreshing desktop.

When i check task manager, OE isn't under applications or processes so i can't terminate.

I tried to uninstall iE 7 so i could reinstall ie6 / OE6 but after uninstalling and checking iE [which is now version 6], when i start to run ie6setup, it halts stating there is a newer version of Internet Explorer installed.

SP3 has just installed in the background and when i try to system restore back to monday, it keeps coming up that restore is unsucessful.

How can i reinstall Outlook Express without formatting hard disk.

thanks in advance...

lotvic 17:03 15 Nov 2008

click here (blogs.msdn.com - microsoft)
for info on what, how, IE7 uninstall, SP3 IE6 and problem

johndrew 17:04 15 Nov 2008

How about `Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs/Windows Components`; you should be able to uninstall from here.

Also you can uninstall SP3 from your system from Add/Remove if it is giving you problems.

T0SH 17:46 15 Nov 2008

bbEZ Antivirus 2009 is a real nasty piece of work which only gets worse the longer it remains on your PC and while Malwarebytes is able to remove it in doing so a lot of the operating system functionality gets crippled

So perhaps you would be best to back up all your personal data pictures music ETC to an external drive and do a clean install of your operating system and programs

Cheers HC

skidzy 17:53 15 Nov 2008

Re-register OE;

Click Start, and then click Run.

In the Open box, type msimn /reg, and then click OK.
(Note that you will not see anything happen.)

In Internet Explorer click Options on the Tools menu.

Click the Programs tab and select Outlook Express as the default e-mail client and as the default news client. You can change those later if you wish.

Re-register the Dynamic Link Libraries (DLLs)

Click Start, and then click Run.

In the Open box, type regsvr32 urlmon.dll, and then click OK.

Repeat step 1 for each of the following commands:
regsvr32 mshtml.dll
regsvr32 shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 browseui.dll
regsvr32 msjava.dll

bbEZ 08:59 16 Nov 2008

thanks to all for the info, i'll let you know how i get on

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?