Outlook Express contacts window

tekpro2001 21:03 03 Mar 2004

Suddenly my window pane that shows contacts is empty and has the words "There are no contacts to display". Until now all my contacts were listed there. My address book is fine - all my contacts are still there but nothing is showing (as it did before) in the contacts window. I have checked for virus, etc and all else seems fine. This just happened suddenly today when I opened the application. Can't figure this one out. Help

StellaArtois63 22:55 03 Mar 2004

Open up outlook express and click on view then click current view to see what has been selected, ie: Hide Read or Hide Read or ignored. This may be the answer to your problem.You may have selected a hide read mail.

temp003 02:21 04 Mar 2004

What version of Windows are you using? Which version of Outlook Express (5 or 6)? Did you recently install Outlook from the Microsoft Office suite, and in Outlook, set Outlook Express to share contacts with Outlook?

Whatever the answers, do this first.

While your address book is still around, make a back up of it.

Open My Computer. For ME, 2000, XP, click Tools, Folder Options, View tab, and (1) tick "Show hidden files and folders" (2) Untick "Hide file extensions for known file types". (3) Click OK.

If you use 98, click View, Options, (1) tick Show All Files, and (2) Untick "Hide MS-DOS file extensions ..." (3) click OK.

Then use the Search or Find function, type in .wab and search for it on your computer. Once found, make a note of its location.

A quicker way of locating the address book is, in OE, click the Address Book in the toolbar, then in the Address Book window, click Help, About Address Book. If it shows a path, that's where the .wab file is stored. If it doesn't show a path, then OE is for some reason not using the default address book.

Once the .wab file is found, make a copy of it and call it backup.wab and save it somewhere you remember.

If you get more than one .wab, open them and see which one is the one you want.

In Outlook Express, click File, Import, Address Book, and browse to the location of the .wab file and click Open. See if it works, and see if the display comes back.

If it doesn't work, post back with the answers to the above questions, and whether "Help, About Address Book" shows any path.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?