outlook express compacting

athenrye 20:07 22 Sep 2006

when i exit outlook express it has started to ask if i want to compact my messages and save space
thing is i dont this a few months ago and lost all my messages and contacts, and i dont want to do it again
whats wrong with my outlook express and how do i sort it out?
will

VoG II 20:10 22 Sep 2006

It is meant to do this every 100 times you use OE.

Have a read click here

athenrye 20:19 22 Sep 2006

hi vog
thanks for your time, i looked at the previous topics on this issue and read the microsoft oe stuff on the oe corrupting issue

this is my problem, im a collector and have lots of email address etc, at the begining of the year i compacted the oe and it lost the lot, i wasnt able to retreive any emails or addresses

i have went 9 months building my contacts etc back up and i dont want to compact again until i know it will be safe, what can i do to ensure i dont loose anything
will

VoG II 20:28 22 Sep 2006

The best way, as €dstowe would say, is to have a backup.

Personally I use Norton Ghost click here but others prefer Acronis click here

Both of these can be used to save an image of your hard drive - onto the same drive (risky in my opinion - if the drive fails you've lost the original and the image!) or a second internal or external HDD. They can be scheduled to create backup images whenever you like.

If anything goes wrong - such as your OE data being corrupted - you can restore an image and be back working within a few minutes.

The alternative is to use Windows Backup - this is not installed by default with windows XP Home Edition click here

terryf 20:54 22 Sep 2006

I have used EA8 and its predecessors for years to backup OE and all its components click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?