Outlook express cleaned out

slydog 19:12 17 Oct 2008

Just started up my PC opened outlook express and found all my messages gone, all my personal folders back to the default set up something has cleaned it out but it wasn't me I had literally hundreds of mails stashed in there all gone. Could have been windows update. I have it set not install without my instruction. but yesterday as I shut it down the updates started to install without warning so I shut the lot down.(I know risky but I don't want even microsoft installing stuff on my PC without my say so. Assuming it was MS) I have checked my Recycle bin and found some files - sent.bak, inbox.bak, saved.bak (one of my old OE folders)deleted.bak etc.
Anyone know what has happened and how I might get my mails back. Most of them I wont miss but some are useful records.
Cheers hopefully slydog

Andsome 19:20 17 Oct 2008

Try system restore to a day or two ago.

MarvintheAndroid 19:22 17 Oct 2008

Try restoring the deleted (bak) files. As you have no emails, you can't really do any damage.

Marv

slydog 19:38 17 Oct 2008

Just tried system restore sadly that didnt work but thanks anyway Andsome. How do I restore the bak files Marv?

Barnacarry 19:48 17 Oct 2008

Try this site click here
It may find them.

MarvintheAndroid 19:50 17 Oct 2008

Open your recycle bin, select the files and hit Edit - Undo Delete OR Right-click and select Restore. Answer YES to the questions.

Do this with Outlook Express CLOSED.

Marv

MarvintheAndroid 19:51 17 Oct 2008

PS you don't need data recovery software if the files are still in your recycle bin.

Marv

chub_tor 19:54 17 Oct 2008

If the .bak files are in your recycle bin you can restore them to their original location by opening the recycyle bin, highlighting the item and clicking on restore this item. If you need to read the restored mail you will probably need to change the extension from .bak to .dbx

slydog 19:57 17 Oct 2008

OK you the man Marv thats sorted it, got em back. Thanks also Barnacarry advice much appreciated.
Cheers
Slydog

MarvintheAndroid 20:08 17 Oct 2008

May I take this opportunity to re-stress the importance of regular system backups ? May I ? Please ? Oh, go on....

Acronis TrueImage is excellent for this.

Marv

slydog 20:32 17 Oct 2008

I know your right Marv but don't you always think I'll do it tomorrow.
Still I'll try acronis I've been looking for a decent image backup for my laptop as well.
Thanks again.
Slydog

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie