Outlook Express - Change from dial up to broadband

Charlie Babbage 19:56 01 Feb 2008

My friend has just changed ISP from a dial up account with Wanadoo to a Broadband account with BT Internet.

I have set up OE with 2 accounts, one for Wanadoo and the other for BT Internet. The problem is that when you click on the 'Send/Receive' button the 'Dial Up Connection' dialog box appears. This is no longer relevant as it is a Broadband connection. How can I prevent this appearing?

Also, having looked at the Wanadoo web site (now Orange)it appears that it is possible to log in on Broadband to a Dial Up Pay as You Go email address click here=$solution_id&docPropValue=kb194

However, it appears that another ISP, Supanet, does not allow mail to be sent unless the connection is through the Supanet account - click here

As my friend will in future be connecting through BT, does anyone know the Orange web page information is correct?

Any general advice will be much appreciated

MAJ 20:02 01 Feb 2008

"I have set up OE with 2 accounts, one for Wanadoo and the other for BT Internet. The problem is that when you click on the 'Send/Receive' button the 'Dial Up Connection' dialog box appears. This is no longer relevant as it is a Broadband connection. How can I prevent this appearing?"

Go to Internet Explorer > Tools > Internet Options > Connections and tick the "Never dial a connection option", click Apply and OK to exit.

MAJ 20:10 01 Feb 2008

Slightly confusing as to what you want, but it sounds like you want to send mail from account B when your main ISP is account A. If that is the case, then replace account B's SMTP server address with account A's SMTP server address in Outlook Express, a lot of the time that works.

Stuartli 23:51 01 Feb 2008

All that is required is that in both accounts you highlight each account's Properties from Tools>Accounts and, from the Connection tab's drop down menu, select either the Default ISP or LAN.

The configuration for both accounts with regard to POP3 and SMTP settings, plus Username and Password, is unchanged.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?