Outlook Express - cannot open attachments

cafe 18:03 25 Jul 2006

I receive many pictures as attachments in Outlook Express - also Word documents. They have always opened in the correct programme - i.e Photoshop Elements or Word.
From yesterday none of them will open like that. Neither can I save them.
I have sculled around the Net and followed many suggestions to cure the problem but nothing has worked.
I hasve run Spybot, Ewido and CCleaner to no effect. I have used System Restore. I have subsequently cleared out old restore points and uninstalled programmes because, at one point, I was told there was not enough disk space to save the documents. This was patently rubbish. I have a large HD with plenty of free space.

In the registry the correct lines exist to open Jpg in Elements.

Please can somebody help?

cafe 18:08 25 Jul 2006

I should add that they open in OE but not in the programmes which created them.

VoG II 18:09 25 Jul 2006

In OE check the settings in Tools > Options, Security tab.

If that is not blocking attachments and pictures try click here

VoG II 18:11 25 Jul 2006

Oh! I'm confused.

Find a saved jpg, right click > Open With, Choose program, select the program you want to use and tick 'Always use this program...'.

cafe 18:12 25 Jul 2006

Thank you. I have checked the OE settings - they are fine - and association is too.

cafe 18:13 25 Jul 2006

VOG I can't do that - there is no 'open with' option

cafe 18:16 25 Jul 2006

I have ried 'save as' and get the comment 'command has failed to execute'

cafe 21:54 25 Jul 2006

I have looked again at the attachments and they sow the icon for GIF at the beginning and end with jpg - this seems rather odd - does anyone have any ideas why that should be so?

VoG II 21:57 25 Jul 2006

Which version of Windows do you have?

woodchip 22:04 25 Jul 2006

What format are the Photos, As it may be that it as lost it's file attachment to open them. If so look in Windows Explorer for one of the same files double click it to what opens it, if it's changed right click the file while holding the shit key then choose open with scroll through the programs to find the program that opens them tick the box to always use this program

cafe 22:07 25 Jul 2006

woodchip
the format of all the photos is jpg. I have done what you suggest amd still they will not open. The same has happened to a 'dot file which should open in Word but does not - although the associated programme is Word!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone