Outlook Express & BT Total Broadband

Peter 00:08 15 Aug 2007

I've loaded BT Total Broadband onto an old 200MHz Pentium Pro (10.8G Hard Drive & 256Meg RAM). I realise that broadband on this machine is a bit ambitious, but it appears to work although the download speed is only 0.5Mb at present. Even this is an improvement on my 56K dial-up modem.

The problem is with Outlook Express. With the 56K dial-up it used to check several POP3 email accounts automatically when I started it up, but now it only downloads my Hotmail emails and I get an error message for all the other accounts. The error message reads (with a different ISP for each error message):-

"The server responded with an error. Account: 'Breathe', Server: 'pophost1.breathe.co.uk', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR AVG POP3 Proxy Server: Cannot connect to the mail server!', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90"

If I revert to dial-up Outlook Express works as before, but it doesn't seem to like working without the 56K modem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Peter.

Peter 00:37 15 Aug 2007

I think I've found the solution. I did a Google search on part of the error message and the problem appears to be connected to my AVG Free anti-virus. After a bit of in depth searching I found that the email scanning settings require the choice of Dial-Up or LAN. changing to LAN appears to have solved the problem.

Thanks to anyone who was trying to come up with an answer.

Peter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?