Outlook Express backup

muddypaws 13:22 18 Aug 2007

I seem to have read in the past ( and by just doing a search on here) various ways of backing up OE messages, addresses etc.
If it is of any use to anyone I have found the simplest way is to create a new folder wherever your backups are and name it Outlook Express.
Go to your main drive C/Programme Files/Outlook Express.
Copy the folder and paste into the new folder.
You then have a complete copy of OE.
the .exe and all messages etc.
OE is fully operational from whatever drive you have put the backup on.
Every few days I copy,paste and overwrite for a new backup.
Just a thought. Works for me anyway.

BurrWalnut 15:24 18 Aug 2007

If I remember correctly when the message store (.dbx files) is moved, it has to be moved to an unpopulated folder, which the \Program Files\Outlook Express folder isn't.

I would carefully check in your 'new' folder for .dbx (messages) and a .wab (address book) files.

VoG II 15:29 18 Aug 2007

The Microsoft method click here

muddypaws 16:24 18 Aug 2007

BurrWalnut
VoG™
I have just done a Ghost back up to my external 'H'.
In Programme Files/OE there are all the files of my 'C' OE including the OE .exe and the address book. All my latest mail is in there. I have read through your link previously Vog. That's what made me look for an easier way. ( A bit presumptious on my part to think I can beat the system I fear!)
I am wondering though that when opening OE from my 'H' drive it is accessing it from C. Also it connects to the server. Although selecting properties for each folder in H reveals the location to be 'H'.
Would be interested to hear comments.

jimv7 16:28 18 Aug 2007

I have my email folder on a different drive to 'C', that makes it very easy to find via a clean install, copy the folder to external drive or add to a cd/dvd.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017