outlook express address wont download emails

kevches 08:50 08 Mar 2009

I have windows XP Pro on my main computer and use outlook express.
However I have found recently when I log on and send receive emails one of the accounts either wont download or is very slow so I have to go to the BT server to view and send replies which is annoying. This problem has happened before and I could only get round it by opening a new address as BT couldnt solve it!!
I have the same problem again and can temporarily help by deleting all files at BT and next time it will download as happened this morning. Now I have read about re installation of outlook express, corrupted files locally etc but why would the samer problem occure on my laptop with the same email address. All other adresses are unaffectd on both computers which have more or less the same software.
Logic would say to me that the problem is therefore at the server end recognising the authentication which has become corrupted at BT but they either dont know or wont admit it??
anyone got any ideas what's going on as I dont want to chnge my email address again for obvious reasons, ebay, paypal etc etc.
I really am stimied as to why two quite separate computers have the same problem

Kevin

brundle 12:18 08 Mar 2009

Are the two computers on at the same time and checking for emails every few minutes? Does it make any difference if one or both are online at once? Can you try another (better) email client click here ? Make sure you set TB to leave a copy of messages on the server if you want to go back to OE. click here

Jollyjohn 12:29 08 Mar 2009

Under the properties of the account in question - is there a tick in the box that says "my server requires authentication"? If so remove it and try again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?