Outlook Express Address Book failed to load.

gregori 19:55 03 Oct 2006

When I try to use Outlook Express with Windows XP Home and click on the Address Book icon, the following message appears:
'The Address Book failed to load. Outlook Express is incorrectly figured, please re-install'. I have uninstalled and reinstalled but to no avail. Only reverting the drive to a previous date with "RESTORE" cures it but the Adress Book disappears again later.

Has anyone any idea what could have caused this problem and, more importantly, can tell me how to cure it ?

gregori 20:00 05 Oct 2006

Refresh

xania 20:16 05 Oct 2006

Don't know but a word of caution to quickly back-up your address book to an external device. Outlook express is nopt slow to over-write itself and when it does so, it overwrites every version it finds on the PC.

terryf 20:34 05 Oct 2006

Do a search for *.wab, click on advanced options and save a copy of yourname.wab somewhere safe

xania 09:30 06 Oct 2006

That's it - but NOT on any attached hard disk otherwise you'll still lose it.

gregori 23:57 13 Oct 2006

The problem was on a friends PC. Uninstalling OE and reinstalling did not help so in the end I jusy right clicked on eack of her messages and added each sender to the blank address book. Thereby restarting the address book from scratch. She only had about 20 contacts so it didn't take long. Seems OK now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017