Outlook Express Accounts Restore Through Registry.

leighrogers 23:16 03 Nov 2006

Hi there.
I am trying to restore an Outlook Express Email Account for my mom. I have a copy of her old hard drive including her old registry file and have been able to restore all her emails but not the account details.

She doesn't know the password (used autologin) and NTL won't help her. I found that the Outlook Express data was stored in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Account Manager\ and so used MSWord to extract this content from her old registry and successfully imported it into her new registry. Despite showing in the registry, the accounts do not appear in Outlook. Can anyone help me through this final step!?

Please help!

Many thanks in advance.

Leigh

lotvic 01:25 04 Nov 2006

May be of some help click here

quote/ "" 5. Passwords
Outlook Express, along with those of most other Microsoft applications such as Internet Explorer, stores its passwords in .PWL files in your Windows directory. There's a separate file for each username on the system. Backup the files frequently. You can view the content of these files with the FREE "Write All Stored Password" utility from iOpus Software. ""

leighrogers 19:26 04 Nov 2006

Hi there, it appears that the iOpus software doesn't work with Windows Xp?

Any other ideas?

terryf 22:37 04 Nov 2006

Can she open a new account? You could then import all the data (search for *.dbx files) into her OE store folder

lotvic 01:26 05 Nov 2006

try SIW from click here the passwords will be listed under Software > secrets

(SIW fits on a floppy and can run program from the floppy so no need to install it on pc or you can run it from a USB flash drive)
I do not know if it will reveal passwords from old hard drive but is worth trying. Or there are other progs in the free section at bottom of webpage.
""SIW performs computer configuration analysis and diagnostics. It gives detailed information about your computer properties and settings, detailed specs for:
- Software (Operating System, Installed Programs and Hotfixes, Processes, Services, Product Keys, Serial Numbers, Users, Open Files, System Uptime, Passwords hidden behind asterisks, Installed Codecs),
- Hardware (Motherboard, Sensors, BIOS, CPU, chipset, PCI/AGP, USB and ISA/PnP Devices, Memory, Video Card, Monitor, Disk Drives, CD/DVD Devices, SCSI Devices, S.M.A.R.T., Ports, Printers),
- Network (Network Cards, Network Shares, currently active Network Connections),
as well as real-time monitors for CPU, Memory, Page File usage and Network Traffic.
SIW can create a report file (CSV, HTML, TXT or XML), and is able to run in batch mode.
SIW is a standalone tool that does not require installation - one less installed program on your PC as well the fact that you can run the program directly from a USB flash drive.
(Portable Freeware).
Platform:
Microsoft Windows 98/Me/NT4/2000/XP/Server 2003/Media Center/Tablet PC/Windows 2003 Server R2/Windows Server 2003 x64/Windows XP x64/Vista""

lotvic 01:39 05 Nov 2006

*.iaf (Internet Account File)
as I understand it, you have copied to MSword the details from old registry and then pasted them into the new registry.

The correct way is to open Outlook (Express) goto: File > Import> Mail Account Settings

Please note that the Password will not be imported and you will have to type this in afterwards.

lotvic 22:21 05 Nov 2006

oops sorry - for 'correct' read 'usual'
I forgot for the mo' that you are doing it thro the registry merge.

leighrogers 09:38 06 Nov 2006

Hi, Yep - I would love to do it any other way, ie using outlook and going to file export mail account settings and then importing them.

But it can't be done because windows has already been re-installed. What I'm thinking of doing is copying the old windows files back to the drive and using one of the password recovery tools to recover the password. Then reinstalling windows - but this machine is really important and down time needs to be kept to a minimum so didn't really want to do this...

Any final ideas?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?