Outlook Express 6 mail checking error

TOPCAT® 12:48 17 Jan 2006

When I boot up and go to check my email I get an OE window opening with this message:

The host 'pop.dsl.pipex.com' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'pop.dsl.pipex.com', Server: 'pop.dsl.pipex.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11004, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D

Just a small niggle really, as when I click Send/Receive the window disappears and I get to my mail server. Tried removing/reinstalling the main account and added a second one set as default, but still the same happens. The USB broadband modem - Speedtouch 330 - is working fine. WinXP SP2 OS with all updates. TC.

sunny staines 14:29 17 Jan 2006

do you have any norton software a recent update causes a problem.

eqskey 14:36 17 Jan 2006

Also McAfee can be troublesome~it changes the pop3 to a numerical address!
With OE click Tools->Accounts->Properties->Servers and then check Pop3 and SMTP entries.

walesrob 14:50 17 Jan 2006

Correct settings for Pipex:

pop server: pop.dsl.pipex.com
smtp server: smtp.dsl.pipex.com

Account name: your name
Email address: your pipex email address

log-in: yourpipexusername%dsl.pipex.com
password: ?

Note the % between yourpipexusername and dsl.pipex.com.

TOPCAT® 15:27 17 Jan 2006

Thanks but my settings are correct and as described on Pipex's own XP settings page. I have them printed out and the only difference I can see is at the SMTP server entry. According to Pipex it should read, for WinXP:

smtpauth.dsl.pipex.com

I haven't any Norton software on my PC. TC.

walesrob 16:31 17 Jan 2006

OK, so is Pipex your isp?

If it is not, then yes the smtpauth is correct, if Pipex is your isp, you dont need the smtpauth.

Also check if your using Pipex as your isp your not using SSL or authentication.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone