Outlook Express 6 - lost emails

Jacqual 20:33 10 Jan 2008

Bit of a disaster today: booted up this morning, and got a Windows update reminder so went for restart etc. Nothing unusual.(I run W2000) However on restart half the files on the desktop had vanished, also internet access. Having spent most of today I have managed to find key folders of work (phew) and re-establish internet access. However all the recent emails sent/received seem to have vanished and it is as if I am starting from new with Outlook Express.No historical emails. I do have back ups to last June, but obviously the last couple of months relate to work in progress.So I guess this means they have gone for good - unless anybody has any bright suggestions?

By the way I did do a quick scan in case it was something malicious but nothing showed up so I guess it is just me? Or is it.....

recap 20:38 10 Jan 2008

Have you tried doing a restore?

or

Do a search for any files with the extension .dbx

Jacqual 21:37 10 Jan 2008

Well I tried the .dbx and just got a few files which were AutoCadLT Database extension files (?).
I was looking at "Windows 2000 restore" on the web and it made me rather nervous. Is it as fraught as it looks or am I being negative?

VoG II 21:41 10 Jan 2008

There is no System Restore in W2K and anyway it would not restore your e-mails.

Have you tried looking in the Deleted Items folder?

Jacqual 22:19 10 Jan 2008

No there is nothing in the deleted folder, Outlook Express 6 looks to be in effect brand new (which I suppose it is as I have had to input all details today)and is working ok now - but no sign of past emails. I can cope with what I have rescued in terms of past files, I can communicate with clients (and so continue to earn a living) but I am now getting a bit cross: I have Norton & a Firewall, and why has a straightforward Windows2000 update caused me such a problem!Maybe I have just been lucky so far.....

Titch61 17:34 14 Jan 2008

I have spent three hours at a friends place yesterday - he had exactly the same problem with lost Emails in Outlook Express, with lost icons on the desktop, settings gone for ADSL connection and the set-up for internet - and it did happen when his wife clicked on something regarding an update for W2K.

All this happened on the 10th, too; and as you I can't find any *.dbx files - after extensive searches and using all the tricks I know.

Will try again - and let you know if I have any (positive) results! Contacted Microsoft, but no reply yet...

PaulB2005 17:38 14 Jan 2008

Do a search for *.DBX files - you must let Windows search Hidden and System folders. This will be your old folders and you might be able to reimport them to OE.

Titch61 09:57 15 Jan 2008

Hi Paul - I have done the DBX search, including all hidden files and system folders - no success.
Also compared my "old" PC which has W2K on it - and double checked it against screen shoots of my friend (Documents & Settings). In my friends screen shoot, I can not find any folders named Application Data, for any of the three users - as in mine, they are all there and fine! Hmm, maybe I should hook the old PC up to the network and just see if I can recreate the "crash" with the latest W2K update from Microsoft - wish me luck !

Jacqual 12:23 15 Jan 2008

Hi Titch, well there is some comfort in not being alone with this problem. I have tried all the search options I can think of with no results. I have nearly come to terms with the permanent loss of recent emails and my address book. I can cope. Also I don't believe any work is lost. I noticed that my Kerio firewall ikon had vanished/was not running or immediately accessible - might this be significant? Although the Sunbelt Software programme folders are still there. I was planning to replace it and Norton with AVG anyway.What is exasperating is the thought that all the missing email stuff is still sitting on the harddrive, and will presumably be slowly overwritten now (is that true?).So is your suspicion that it is a problem down to Microsoft, or is there something nasty out there?

Titch61 20:19 15 Jan 2008

As mentioned before, I tried to recreate the problem with my old PC which runs on W2K, downloading the latest MS Security updates as well as the MRT (Malicious Removal Tool) from Microsoft - and "unfortunately" all worked fine on my PC.
I don't think the firewall Kerio is the cause - have searched further but no success yet! I can however recommend a free software if you want to try to recover the lost Emails - but I must stress that you read the help file and instructions FIRST - especially how to run the recovery software (NOT on same drive as the one you want to recover files from) - here the link (I have used it a few times with good to great results) - just make sure you backup all the other files first :-)
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?