Outlook Express 6 - Exporting Messages

sarah101 14:58 17 Mar 2003

I've recently purchased a new PC and I'd like to export my e-mail messages from the old computer to the new one.

Both computers have Outlook Express 6. I've located the folder where the messages are stored and its size is approx 350MB. This is a bit of a problem as my only export method is a 100MB Zip Drive! I thought that I might be able to do the export bit by bit using 4 Zip Discs but once the first disc's contents has been successfully imported into OE6 on the new machine when I try to import from the second disc I get an error message stating that the folder is in use.

Any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong or how to get around the problem would be most welcome.

Thanks
Sarah

powerless 15:12 17 Mar 2003

On the old Machine in OE > File > Export > Messages.

On the new machine in OE > File > Import > Messages.

Megatyte 15:19 17 Mar 2003

I think you'll find that this will only export messages to another application (MS Outlook or Exchange).

DieSse 15:32 17 Mar 2003

OK - firstly, you don't need to "export" - you can just copy.

Instead of copying the whole folder - simly copy the files in it to your Zip disk (take as many goes as it needs) and copy them into a folder you have created on your new system.

Then in OE on your new system, do a File - Import. At the appropriate place in the import wizard, point it to (not into) the new folder you have stored the old files in, and they will import correctly into the new OE.

€dstow 15:37 17 Mar 2003

If your new system is WXP, use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard (look in Help & Support)

€d

sarah101 13:59 25 Mar 2003

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

DieSse, I think you've hit the nail on the head it was so obvious once I read your reply that I'm slightly embarassed I didn't think that little bit further myself! Doh!

Cheers
Sarah

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?