Outlook Express 6 - Address book failed to load

Codboy 23:03 17 Aug 2007

One day Outlook Express decided to stop working and everytime I login I get this error message (no error code): "The address book failed to load. Outlook Express is incorrectly configured, please re-install"
So, I went to Microsoft and tried to do this, but it only comes with IE5 and I am currenlty running IE6 and could not find a stand alone version.
The help sheets were not very helpful unless you had a good understanding of OS's.
Could somebody please give me some advice on how to get this running again?

Thank-you

johnnyrocker 23:05 17 Aug 2007

system restore prior to the problem occurring?

johnny.

SANTOS7 23:06 17 Aug 2007

The WAB file may have become damaged or corrupted causing one or both of the above error messages. You will need to rename the existing .wab file and restart Outlook Express(OE). Once started, OE will create a new .WAB file. Microsoft does not recommend that you import the data from the old, damaged .wab file. If you do, you may import the damage into the new .wab file.
1. Click Start, point to Find (Search on Windows 2000 or newer operating systems), and click For Files or Folders.
2. In Search for files or folders named, type. *.wab and click Search Now.
3. In the Search results window, Right-click the file(s) with an extension of ".wab" and then click Rename.
4. Rename the file extension (the three left-most characters in the name) to "old" and press ENTER.

Codboy 23:15 17 Aug 2007

Thank-you for your swift response. I did not complete a system restore before the problem occured and there is no .wab file in my system.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank-you

johnnyrocker 23:21 17 Aug 2007

one should still be able to choose a date prior to the problem.

johnny.

SANTOS7 23:28 17 Aug 2007

click here

you must have, it is where your address book files are kept...

Codboy 23:31 17 Aug 2007

Sorry Jonnyrocker, I get what you mean now. Unfortunately, I've been trying to solve this problem for some time now and I 've lost track of when I could possibly restore back too. So, I am looking for another option.

Thanks

johnnyrocker 23:36 17 Aug 2007

unless you have downloaded programs you wish to keep the restore dates are many and varied, try sitting and having a realistic think to about when the prob might have occurred and go for it.

johnny.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?