Outlook Express 6

magnus35 09:25 03 Nov 2009

Windows XP SP3
IE8

Recently started using OE and everything seemed to be working ok .
Now , when I try to use the address book , it doesn't insert the proper email address of intended recipient . If e.g. "Bob" has been added to the address book , along with his email address , and is selected as the recipient of a message , OE enters "Bob" in the address field and tries to send the message to "Bob" rather than his full and proper email address . Entering "Bob's" correct email address directly into the appropriate box still has OE sending any message to the email address "Bob" , resulting in non delivery , sometimes replied to with an "unable to deliver message" .
Have tried clearing address book and re-entering contact details but it still wont cooperate .

Any suggestions ?

Clapton is God 16:51 03 Nov 2009

Are you sure that you've set up your SMTP (outgoing mail) settings correctly?

magnus35 10:22 05 Nov 2009

All was working well and no settings were changed .
I have sent several test messages , all cc myself . I received them but the intended main recipient did not .

Sea Urchin 11:36 05 Nov 2009

This is quite normal behaviour for OE - although it puts the recipient's name in the To: box it is still going to the email address. Just right-click on 'Bob' and select Properties, and you will see the hidden address.

If you want to type in the full address then you can do so - but type the full address, and don't just accept auto-complete, or it may well revert to 'Bob' again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?