Outlook Express 4 to 6 message export/import.

Drew (newbie) 19:20 19 Jul 2003

Having a little knowledge has backed me into a corner with a friend with less knowledge, who has bought a new PC to replace a very old one and asked me to move an extremely large number of messages from Outlook Express 4 on the old PC to Outlook Express on the new one.

Using Export in v4 seems to work, but I have no idea where the exported file is to copy it across to the new PC. (Exporting the Address Bok was no problem.)

Can anyone help, please?

whybe 17:52 20 Jul 2003

Although I have not much idea how to export/import. OE file have a .dbx extension.

Although I don't use OE having Outlook I put .dbx in search and it brought up all the OE files inbox, drafts etc. This may be a start.

jazzypop 18:56 20 Jul 2003

All you could wish to know about exporting / importing OE files - click here

Drew (newbie) 23:59 20 Jul 2003

Yes, whybe, I thought that .dbx files were the things to look for, but there are none on her PC. I could find .idx ones, but I think that they belong to some early attempts of hers to use Inbox (Exchange) rather than OE.

OE6 would not import from the .idx files anyway when I copied them to the new PC.

Drew (newbie) 00:09 21 Jul 2003

Many thanks, jazzypop! That is a great link. A useful site to know about anyway, and the backup tool on the page you linked to looks just what I need to make the transfer easy!

Many thank to you both for responding, whybe and jazzypop.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?