outlook express

123joey123 10:06 30 Jan 2009

My email is with outlook express. If anyone sends me an email I receive it fine but if they do it by means of the 'reply' button it never arrives. Anyone had that problem?

recap 10:14 30 Jan 2009

Who is your email with, is it Hotmail, Yahoo, BT, Virgin or...?

Do the emails come through your ISP mail client?

Simsy 10:16 30 Jan 2009

That you don't have a different reply address somehow...

Open Outlook Express
On the menu bar click Tools>Accounts
Select the "Mail" tab
Select the account in question
Click "Properties
Select the "General" tab
Check what's in the "Reply Address" box

In my case the "Reply Address" box is empty, and I get replies OK. I assume that box is for replies to go to a different address. Perhaps you have, incorrectly, got the wrong address in there?

Does the problem apply to all folk who try to reply to you. If not, it's probably a problem with the other party.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Simsy

123joey123 12:30 30 Jan 2009

Thanks chaps.My email is with Plusnet and I only have one addrerss. It applies to all who email me.The fault is with me.

Simsy 12:51 30 Jan 2009

checked your reply address, as per my instructions above?

Was the box already blank?

If it was blank,what happens if you enter your address in it?

(I don't have any more ideas, but I'd be intrigued to know!)

Simsy 12:57 30 Jan 2009

Though it's really clutching at straws...

When someone "Replies" to an email, the subject line of the reply usually begins with;

"Re:"

Is there any possibility that any spam filtering software you may have is detecting this and putting it in a junk/spam folder?

Also, have you checked on the Plusnet server,
click here
to see if the replies are there? It's extremely unlikely, but perhaps Plusnet is putting them in a spam folder.

As a last resort you could try another email program, (such as Thunderbird, or Pegasus), and see if the problem remains. This will eliminate, or otherwise, Outlook Express as the culprit.

Good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

Stuartli 13:05 30 Jan 2009

The most likely reason is that when your friends Reply to one of your messages, they fail to use the drop down menu in the From: field to change it to their own e-mail address if they have several e-mail addresses (i.e. the address relating to their own ISP).

I'm surprised, if this is the case, that the messages are not being bounced back to them.

123joey123 14:37 30 Jan 2009

yes,Simsy,I checked as re.your instructions.I also checked webmail of plusnet. I'll try Plusnet to see if they have ideas
Thanls,all

recap 16:19 30 Jan 2009

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?