Outlook Express

5starred 12:29 07 Nov 2008

Can anyone please clarify for me what type of file outlook express emails will be saved as? For some reason I have .pst but I am not convinced this is correct.

Thanks

Sea Urchin 12:38 07 Nov 2008

They will be .dbx files - .pst files are used by Outlook

DieSse 13:32 07 Nov 2008

emails are not saved AS a file exactly - they are saved IN a file.

By that I mean each email folder (eg Inbox) is one single file with all the "Inbox" contents inside it. It'a actually a database file - each of the folders has a single file, and as Sea Urchin says they are .dbx files. So you'll see Inbox.dbx, Sent.dbx, and so on.

Outlook uses .pst files (and if you have Outlook, you'll always have a .pst file, even if you don't use it - it'll just be virtually empty). .pst files are also database files, though they contain all the folders, calendars etc that Outlook uses, in one humungous file.

Batch 14:21 07 Nov 2008

In OE, if you go to Tools, Options, Maintenance tab and then click on Store Folder it will tell you where the DBXs are stored.

5starred 17:02 07 Nov 2008

Thanks for the help they do appear to be .dbx
The reason I was asking (apologies for not explaining earlier) is that I am trying to recover files from a laptop using Linux so I am trying to search for emails that might be stores on the hard drive. I appear to have found some but it's not allowing me to drag them off like it did with the photos.

lotvic 17:31 07 Nov 2008

C:\Windows\Application Data\Outlook Express\{GUID}
or
C:\Documents and Settings\<User>\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{GUID}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Copy don't drag.
If you just find the 'Identies' and copy that folder to wherever you are saving the stuff you rescue, you will get all the .dbx's.

useful site click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?