Outlook Express

Parbuster 12:06 14 Jul 2007

I have been receiving from several friends attachments in OE but when I open them there is no sense in the message just a lot of gibberish quite indecigherable.If I use Thunderbird everything is OK.What is my problem with OE is it because it is opening in Notepad.?????

Forum Editor 12:10 14 Jul 2007

OE would normally prompt you to save them to your hard drive - it won't open attachments itself.

Andy1991 12:18 14 Jul 2007

Sounds like currupt files, or maybe ur file associations. But try right clicking the attachment first and saving as. Then scan the file for viruses, then see u can open it from there (Windows Explorer)

Parbuster 15:16 14 Jul 2007

Hi Andy.I don't know whether its a corrupt file or not ,how do I find out.How do I check the file association.All the messages are scanned coming in by the sender and by my Norton,and Zone Alarm scanners and are always allowed.The messages are from very good friends who also have the necessary safeguards.I will try your suggestion of saving etc.They always used to open with IE but now are opened in Notepad,this may be the problem???

David4637 14:27 15 Jul 2007

You will NOT see a picture if they are opening in Notepad. What file extension have they got, it should be something like picture.jpg, they should then open in Paint or similar viewer. David

Parbuster 18:25 15 Jul 2007

HI David,They are not just pictures I am opening they are text as well, the extension is either gif or jpg if they are picture attachments, which open ok in Thunderbird.The text is just unreadable at times.

Parbuster 18:25 15 Jul 2007

HI David,They are not just pictures I am opening they are text as well, the extension is either gif or jpg if they are picture attachments, which open ok in Thunderbird.The text is just unreadable at times.

beeuuem 18:41 15 Jul 2007

Look in Tools > Options > Read tab and ensure that 'Read all messages in plain text' is not ticked.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des LĂ©gendes en ligne ?